Umpiring Legend, MLB Sup Steve Palermo Has Died

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2559 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Former American League Umpire and MLB Umpiring Supervisor Steve Palermo has died at the age of 67. Former AL Umpire Steve Palermo has died.Born in Worcester, Massachusetts in 1949, Palermo's career in the American League spanned from an October 1976 debut through his final game 15 years later; his...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a child growing in Worcester, Mass., (where Palermo was born...he lived in a suburb), I would often be asked (like many children), "what do you want to be when you grow up?"

My reply was always, "an umpire."  Almost always the adult's response would be, "what?  Do you want to be the next Steve Palermo?"  He was that well-known in my hometown.

Ironically (and sadly), he was one of the few guys I never got to meet in my professional days.