Ball "caught" but not in hand

beerguy55
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2621 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I had a situation about ten years ago where I'm the catcher, and batter attempts a bunt which flares a few feet in front of the plate.  I get out, dive, bobble the ball, and then end up lying on my back, with the ball pinned between my arm and side.  I have the ball, it's not going anywhere, but I'm not going anywhere.  I'm aware that the umpire has not ruled BR out yet, and I'm lying there scared to move and drop the ball.  The umpire is standing over me, and my pitcher is standing over me.  Then a light bulb goes off, the pitcher reaches down, grabs the ball with his hand, and umpire says "out".   It probably lasted five seconds but felt like minutes.

After I got up I asked "wasn't that control?" and he said "it needs to be in your hand", which I didn't know at the time (thanks for the learning moment, Blue).

My question is, if, while still lying on the ground, I had said something like "I got it" or "You gonna call it?" would you answer me, would you simply say "no", or would you let me know I need to secure it in my hand....I envision an umpire saying "Show me" and me saying "it's right here, you can see it."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Richvee said:

The OP got me thinking,.....Assuming FED rules, could this be considered a lodged ball 2 base award? I wouldn't think so myself, being that the fielder was able to lift the ball out of his armpit in short order.

So it got me thinking..what constitutes lodged? Would the ball have to land in a shirt, or in a pocket, where the fielder couldn't retrieve the ball almost immediately?

INSIDE the pants, shirt, pocket

• Like 2