Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3560 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Alright guys,

A while back I took some black shoe polish to my Reebok plate shoes and, long story short, stained the white stripes on the sides. I tried to take it off with nail polish remover as an extension of my Rawlings LWMXTI adventure, but I couldn't get it off. So, is it possible to simply color in the used to be white stripes? Any recommendations as to what I could use to do this, if anything?

Posted
19 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Alright guys,

A while back I took some black shoe polish to my Reebok plate shoes and, long story short, stained the white stripes on the sides. I tried to take it off with nail polish remover as an extension of my Rawlings LWMXTI adventure, but I couldn't get it off. So, is it possible to simply color in the used to be white stripes? Any recommendations as to what I could use to do this, if anything?

I would clean them. Try either Goo Gone or acetone and a small foam or bristle brush.

I build and paint a lot of things, and I have yet to find something that holds up on plate shoes (I love to experiment.) So far, I've found that a flexible airbrush paint has worked the best, but even that cracks in less than a season.

Posted
1 minute ago, Matt said:

I would clean them. Try either Goo Gone or acetone and a small foam or bristle brush.

I build and paint a lot of things, and I have yet to find something that holds up on plate shoes (I love to experiment.) So far, I've found that a flexible airbrush paint has worked the best, but even that cracks in less than a season.

Hm, okay. They're not in the best shape (a couple tears on the aforementioned stripes) so I wouldn't be adverse to trying stuff out on your behalf. That said, I'll track down some Goo Gone and give it a whirl. 

Posted

You could also look for a white paint pen and recolor them. Most art supply stores will carry them. you want the acrylic.

  • Like 1
Posted

If you were encountering just dirt and grime (and clay or brick dust) staining the white on your shoes, I would say use Crest or Colgate, or even Rembrandt or Arm & Hammer _Whitening_ toothpaste. But, since you used black shoe polish, that... poses a different challenge. You could _try_ hydrogen peroxide (don't let it sit on the black leather too long), or take a Mister Clean Magic Eraser and try rubbing the staining off, or weakening it.

Give us an update on your trials of these suggestions, and I might have a few more.

Posted

A few years ago, 2012 I believe, I used leather luster to brighten up my Reebok magistrate plate shoes. I had scratched white stripes so I went ahead and just covered them with the leather luster. It's a three or four coat process and they covered very well. When I "upgraded" to NB 460 plate shoes (which I also leather lustered) I re-coated ed the Reeboks with LL and sold them on here to another member. (2014 or early 2015I think). I've documented leather luster steps here before and the sale was via the buy/sell/trade forum if you wish to look it up for photos. Some guys don't like LL but it worked for me and extended the life of the shoes. 

My .02........

  • Like 2
×
×
  • Create New...