Two runners on one base

Guest brages
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2885 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest brages

This was in a 10u rec game with open bases. Rule set is modified OBR and NFHS (I don't know what this means either, but that's what the rule book says).

Runners on second and third. Runner on second takes off running on the pitch.

R3 retreats to third base bag and R2 joins him on the same base. What is the situation here? Is anyone automatically out?

If R2 runs back to second base without getting tagged, then we're OK, no outs, right?

7 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, Guest brages said:

This was in a 10u rec game with open bases. Rule set is modified OBR and NFHS (I don't know what this means either, but that's what the rule book says).

It means that the person who wrote the rule is incompetent.

Runners on second and third. Runner on second takes off running on the pitch.

R3 retreats to third base bag and R2 joins him on the same base. What is the situation here? Is anyone automatically out?

If R2 runs back to second base without getting tagged, then we're OK, no outs, right?

Right.

OBR

5.06 (7.00) Running the Bases
(a) (7.01) Occupying the Base
(1) A runner acquires the right to an unoccupied base when
he touches it before he is out. He is then entitled to it
until he is put out, or forced to vacate it for another runner
legally entitled to that base.
Rule 5.06(a)/5.06(c) Comment (Rule 7.01 Comment): If a
runner legally acquires title to a base, and the pitcher assumes
his pitching position, the runner may not return to a previously
occupied base.
(2) (7.03(a)) Two runners may not occupy a base, but if,
while the ball is alive, two runners are touching a base,
the following runner shall be out when tagged and the
preceding runner is entitled to the base, unless Rule
5.06(d) (Rule 7.03(b)) applies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guest brages said:

But if the trailing runner was to actually pass up the leading runner, then there would be an automatic out, right?

Right.

5.09 Making an Out

. . .

(b) (7.08) Retiring a Runner
Any runner is out when:

(9) He passes a preceding runner before such runner is out;

Guest brages

Thanks... R2 ended up making it back safe and then did the same thing on the next pitch and was thrown out. Sigh... we have some coaching to do.

11 minutes ago, Guest brages said:

But if the trailing runner was to actually pass up the leading runner, then there would be an automatic out, right?

I recommend not using the term "automatic out." For one thing, it's not a term in any rule (the scorekeeping rule has the term "automatic putout," but it's used only for keeping score).

I get the idea that an out is "automatic" if the defense does not have to do anything — like make a tag or an appeal — to earn the out. But a runner who passes an unobstructed preceding runner is out when an umpire sees him and calls him out.

There's nothing automatic about that, and at the level you're talking about, I expect it happens from time to time without anyone, including the umpire, seeing it.