FED Casebook 6.2.4

kstrunk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3400 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

6.2.4 SITUATION H: R1 is on third base. There are two outs and B4 has a count of 3-2. While F1 is in motion, B4 requests time-out, which is not granted, and steps out of the box with (a) one foot or (b) both feet. F1 delivers a pitch that sails over F2’ s head. B4 advances to first while R1 scores. RULING: In (a) and (b), the run counts. B4 is charged with a strikeout and remains on first base. Since B4 did not intentionally try to cause F1 to balk or throw a wild pitch, the umpire shall not eject him. The ball remains live. (7-3-1 Penalty)

Need help understanding why B4 is not out. Thanks.

B4 stepped put and the pitcher delivered a pitch. In FED, the pitch is automatically a strike. It's an uncaught third strike and he made it to 1B safely. Any other code, call the pitch on it's merit. Over F2's head, it's probably ball 4. If it's judged to be a strike, you still have the uncaught third strike and the outcome is the same as in FED. Only difference is whether the pitcher gets credited with a K or charged with a BB.

I understand FED wants it called as an U3K, B4 safe at 1st, run scores, credit F1 with a K.

Playing Devil's advocate....

As @maven has pointed out, B4 steps out of the box with both feet, penalty strike...That's 3. The pitch that follows is really strike "4". Shouldn't the inning end the moment the batter steps out of the box with both feet while the pitcher is in his motion? After all, that's strike 3. If F1 pulls up and doesn't throw the pitch after B4 steps out, it's penalty strike three, inning over. Why penalize F1 for avoiding possible injury by not pulling up in the middle of his windup and letting the pitch fly? Batter has already struck out on the penalty strike. Ruling makes sense if it's a 1 strike count, then penalty is strike 2 and the pitch is strike 3, uncaught, live ball.  

Again, I realize how FED wants this called. To me, calling the penalty srike 3 and ending the inning seems to more with the spirit of the rule. Penalize the batter for stepping out, not the defense. 

• Like 1

It's not a strike to step out with both feet until F1 stops or until F1 pitches.  If F1 pitches, the batter could step back in and hit the ball.  So, the ball remains live.  If F1 stops, then there's no U3K, so you would be right.

And, imo at least, FED only wants the "double penalty"  if the batter delays the game -- that didn't happen. (Yes, I know the case plays etc are still, after a dozen years or whatever, still in the book; other case plays support the delay part.)

• Like 1

It's not a strike to step out with both feet until F1 stops or until F1 pitches.  If F1 pitches, the batter could step back in and hit the ball.  So, the ball remains live.  If F1 stops, then there's no U3K, so you would be right.

And, imo at least, FED only wants the "double penalty"  if the batter delays the game -- that didn't happen. (Yes, I know the case plays etc are still, after a dozen years or whatever, still in the book; other case plays support the delay part.)

Good explanation. Thanks. That make my "logic" rather faulty when you look at it that way. 

It would still make it easier to call the pitch on its merit if there is no delay. Just sayin... I know I know, it don't matter what we say! 

FED wants a more severe penalty for stepping out, especially given the fact that HS pitchers are more easily distracted than pro pitchers.

It would still make it easier to call the pitch on its merit if there is no delay. Just sayin... I know I know, it don't matter what we say! 

FED wants a more severe penalty for stepping out, especially given the fact that HS pitchers are more easily distracted than pro pitchers.

Perhaps they'd come closer to meeting that goal if U3K was nullified if batter steps out with 2 strikes, lest, as in the scenario we're discussing, the pitcher ends up penalized rather than the batter? Thinking out loud here, I realize it's moot.