Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4330 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

It has been awhile since I have been on the site.

 

Well baseball ended in July and I have now completed my first season of High School Football.

 

I was fortunate enough to work as Linesman, Head Linesman and 3 games as Umpire in my first year.

If you think you get a ear full from dugouts some times, try working the Sidelines with your back continually to and close to the coaches and managers.  You will not only hear about your calls but questions about calls made by other members of the crew.

It was fun and I really enjoyed it.

It was fun traveling to games outside the local area.

The crew would meet up and car pool to the game.

A great time discussing rules and situations and then after the game a diner before driving back.

In that aspect football is a lot more fun then showing up at a field to meet your partner for a baseball game.

It is a closer bond between officials.

 

Now I open the next chapter and attend the first association meeting for High School Basketball tomorrow night.

Already know most the guys from Baseball and Basketball.

 

So now my closet contains uniforms for three sports, although most the space in the closet belongs to baseball.

 

I also had to find some work here in Utah because of the reduced income from not working Baseball all year like Southern California.

I was fortunate enough to get hired by a Great Company at the start of September.

The Home Depot.

The Ops Manager is a Combat Medic in the Utah Guard and when he interviewed me and realized I was Retired Military the interview ended and he said you are now the 12th Veteran working in this store.

So I am getting 29 hours a week working in the Plumbing Dept.

For PT work the pay is great and it is a Team Environment with everyone working together.

The also have been accommodating with my scheduling.

If I am assigned a game first, I request the hours off I need for that day and no problem.

They also assign your weekly schedule 3 weeks out (it always changes) so it is easy balance work and officiating with plenty of notice.

It is actually fun to have a job again and be only semi retired.

 

Well that is the update.

Basketball will get me through the winter till Baseball starts in March.

 

If your not working other sports during the winter.

I encourage you to look into it.

It is a lot of fun.

 

Also to my fellow Marines out there.

Nov 10th. 1775

Happy Birthday Devil Dogs

Semper Fi

 

 

  • Like 3
Posted

Thanks for the update, Lou, and I'm glad to hear your first season in football went well. My crew had a great season, too, and we've been invited to do our area's HS "all star" game on Thanksgiving morning. Should be like a really cold version of the pro bowl (by which I mean: no defense, lots of celebrating).

 

My first basketball scrimmage was last Saturday. I second Lou's recommendation to baseball umpires to pick it up: it's a great way to get/stay in shape for baseball season.

Posted

I am not working multilple sports, but I am coaching my son's travel basketball team for the second year. I still stay in contact with those who umpire and referee basketball by coaching. This also gives me a chance to give them some grief by way of begging for fouls and alerting them of missed calls. This is naturally done in fun but there were/are times that they do miss calls. Kidding aside, this is my way of keeping in contact with my fellow "brothers".

Posted

Tried it. I used to volunteer referee basketball. I understand how it keeps you in shape for baseball, but I just could not get into it. I just don't have the same love affair with football (my #2) or basketball as I do with baseball.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Just did my second year of football myself. Not sure about picking up a winter sport, the extra money would be nice but my kids are still pretty young and I like being with them.

×
×
  • Create New...