Little League help

kwiggie
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3562 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok, youth ball umps I need help!

I have been asked to run an hour long mechanics session with next years youth ball umpires (who are primarily HS ball players and recently graduated alum)  and am wondering about mechanics on the small field. In our area (Sconsin) Pony league plays on a 90' base path, this is easy. Little League however plays on a 75' ( I think) base path. Do you guys work the inside of the diamond for the 75' base path or are you on the outside? 

Use 90' mechanics on 50/70 fields. Only difference is it takes you less steps to get in a good position. And be on your toes. Those hard hit balls get to you pretty quick in B and C

Use 90' mechanics on 50/70 fields. Only difference is it takes you less steps to get in a good position. And be on your toes. Those hard hit balls get to you pretty quick in B and C

You also need some fancy footwork on balls hit to the left side of the infield when you're in C. There's less time and space to get out of the way of a throw to 1B -- and the actions of the players at that level can be unpredictable.

Similarly, getting a good angle on pickoffs at 1B can be a bit tougher depending on how F3 sets up and R1 returns. 

http://www.littleleaguestore.net/equipment---supplies-rules.html

The basic umpire manual (Make the right call) is $2 on the Little League store or your league president may have a copy.   You may also want Field Mechanics - 60' Bound Cover (or 90' as applicable).  Do you know what divisions you are preparing them for?

Good call Basejester!

I went to the site and saw the "Make the right call" booklet for $2.00. This could definitely be a resource for the "young guys" at a very inexpensive price for the league.

thanks again all you guys for the in-put it has been helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

Plays at first on balls hit to the outfield is something you need to prep the umpires for. You rarely see this on big diamonds but see it all the time on the small fields. Teach them to read the ball and players on hard hit balls even to center field not just right field.

• Like 1