FED OBS

Guest TN Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3628 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

13 answers to this question

Guest TN UMP

Batter hit the ball right down the left field line. As BR rounded 1st he ran into F3 and actually fell down. Could not determine if he was just rounding or if he was going to attempt to go to second. Figured I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

sometimes you have to read the play...

left field line.....sounds like possible double territory to me.......BR.rounded the base, then ran into F3 and fell down.......I'd clearly call OBS on that one.......and award 2nd as per the FED requirement.......

sometimes you have to read the play...

left field line.....sounds like possible double territory to me.......BR.rounded the base, then ran into F3 and fell down.......I'd clearly call OBS on that one.......and award 2nd as per the FED requirement.......

Agreed.

And, you can also read the coach -- was he saying "round it hard" or "two...two"?

Any ohter runners (so maynbe the ball wouldn't be thrown to second)?

etc.

Funny story, but i'd like a legit answer to this as it still bugs me.....

This happened 10 yrs ago before i became an umpire.

Adult rec league softball, I get obstructed rounding 1st, I give up the attempt at 2nd b/c I knew I'd be thrown out (b/c of the OBS).   Play dies down and I ask the BU, "hey, what about interference?" (cause I was uneducated in the ways of umpiredom)      He says, "I saw it, but I can't give it to you since you didn't actually try to go to 2nd."     I was like WHAT?

I think i'm still confused about it.   Did I need to actually try for 2nd and get thrown out to get the award?   Or was he wrong?

Edit: This was U-trip,  USSSA   

Funny story, but i'd like a legit answer to this as it still bugs me.....

This happened 10 yrs ago before i became an umpire.

Adult rec league softball, I get obstructed rounding 1st, I give up the attempt at 2nd b/c I knew I'd be thrown out (b/c of the OBS). Play dies down and I ask the BU, "hey, what about interference?" (cause I was uneducated in the ways of umpiredom) He says, "I saw it, but I can't give it to you since you didn't actually try to go to 2nd." I was like WHAT?

I think i'm still confused about it. Did I need to actually try for 2nd and get thrown out to get the award? Or was he wrong?

Not sure about softball. In baseball under OBR, since there wasn't an attempted play on you at the time there's no automatic award of bases, it's purely judgement as to where you (and any other runners) would've got to if there hadn't been obstruction. It wouldn't be uncommon to err in your favour since you weren't at fault. At the same time if the ball was being caught by F4 as you were obstructed, you probably weren't going to get there safely.

USSSA slow pitch softball has a mandatory one base minimum award for obstruction. Of all the various softball sanctioning bodies, none have anything in their rules about "the runner must try to advance to be awarded the next base".

In other words...you was robbed!

USSSA slow pitch softball has a mandatory one base minimum award for obstruction. Of all the various softball sanctioning bodies, none have anything in their rules about "the runner must try to advance to be awarded the next base".

If you aren't trying to advance, you can't be hindered in getting to the next base.

• Like 1

If you aren't trying to advance, you can't be hindered in getting to the next base.

True.  And,  if aftger the OBS, the play was going to "be close" and you slowed down so it no longer "was close" you might not be awarded the base (depending on the rules set and any required minimum award)

But I WAS hindered when I was trying and I called it off.   Just b/c I didn't continue the attempt doesn't mean I wasn't trying when the OBS occurred.   You see the round-and-round that could go on here?  

You can't really judge a runner's intent immediately prior to the OBS cause you don't know how the OBS affected his thinking (IMO).   I think you gotta call that when it occurs, because you don't know what he was "trying" to do.

Think of OBS as a "distance" penalty.  The hindrance casused you to lose, say, 10 feet..  If you were out by more than 10 feet, then the out stands.  You CHOSE -- independent of the OBS --  to slow down.

It's the same as in the playoff game a few years ago (OBS near third, runner slows thiniing he'll be awarded home, thrown out by a lot, out stands).

But I WAS hindered when I was trying and I called it off.   Just b/c I didn't continue the attempt doesn't mean I wasn't trying when the OBS occurred.   You see the round-and-round that could go on here?  

You can't really judge a runner's intent immediately prior to the OBS cause you don't know how the OBS affected his thinking (IMO).   I think you gotta call that when it occurs, because you don't know what he was "trying" to do.

You'd be surprised.