Positioning question.

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3585 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I worked my first solo game and had this play happen.

I was behind the plate with R1. The B/R lined a rocket to f4 who got hit with hit but it rolled to the F6 who was covering the base. I was positioned on the 3rd base side of the mound and I got screened by the sliding R1 but I thought I saw the f6 tag the base. So I banged the out. Where should I have been positioned?  

Working solo, you have to read the situation and quickly get to where you think the best spot would be..... There isn't a perfect position when solo.

That being said, we do alot of solo around here and in your situation I probably would have moved to the 1B side of the mound on the hit to see the force at 2B and possibly a DP back at first.

However, things happen so fast when your alone I will never critisize someones position as long as they are hustling and trying their best.

This is the problem with one man. There is not much you can do on this play. Sometimes the safest thing you can do is get out in front of the plate about 15-20 feet and stay in the middle of the mound rather than going to one side. That is pretty much your working area for one man.

And if anyone gives you a problem on such a play, tell them you had them out from you were at, and that is it. The arguing stops there. If they want more umpires, then they need to pay for them.

Agree with KLAH316 that you are slightly better off on the first base side.  I say that not because of being screened from the play but rather the likelihood that after the ball gets bobbled (common in the levels that are assigned as solos) the play is probably going to first.  The biggest issue with solos is that you can't possibly be in the right place for every conceivable play, so you just have to be willing hustle.

I hate solo but it is what it is.  I gone solo for the same two teams a couple of times and they will give you a work out.  12u Babe Ruth rules solo is ridiculous.  Pick-off attempts at 3rd (you'll never be in posistion for that), throw downs to 2nd and 3rd (good luck since you might get a decent angle but no way you can see much, like a dropped ball).  The list goes on.  You do the best you can and don't beat yourself up too much. 

• 2 months later...