1st inning Ejection BR slams helmet

Jglopez7
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3637 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Top of 1st inning runners on 3rd and 2nd. Slow roller hit to f4, he checks the runners and throws to 1st. Ball beat him by half a step, i sell the call and call him out. Runner turns at me and slams his helmet. It was almost a Clint Fagan momemt when he ejected Molina. Player was ejected. His coach didn't argue and agreed with the ejection. First player ejection in 3 years!

I'll preface this by saying that I totally agree with your ejection, no way can a player do that and get away with it.

That being said, when I was coaching a few years ago I had a player do this and the umpire immediately looked at me and I ran over from the 3rd base coaches box and removed him from the game (and sat him the second game of the DH). I appreciated the fact that the ejection wasn't immediate. He talked to me between innings and said had I not immediately ran over he would have ejected him.

My question, is this an automatic ejection for all of you or do you wait briefly to see how coach responds?

I didn't give a MLB Show ejection. First base yelled at him to pick up his helmet and sit on the bench. Head coach approached me and apologized. I informed him his player has been ejected from the game. No issues no audience was made.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Depends... if he is throwing equipment in protest of a call I just made, its an automatic ejection.

On the other hand, depending on age, if the equipment is thrown because he is upset/disappointed in himself he might get to stay if a coach gets there pretty quick and handles it. 

• Like 1

Stan Musial game - current and former college players and pro wannabes (delirious, for the most part).  Wise guy lefty cleanup hitter.  I ring up a 2-1 curveball in the upper part of the zone.  He doesn't say anything but I know he is steaming mad.  Then he looks at one right down the c@ck.  As he is walking away he says to me:  "You f@*ked up that whole at-bat,"  I said:  "I didn't look at strike three down the middle, YOU did."  He went into the dugout, splintered his bat against the concrete wall, then grabbed a practice bat and started bashing that against the wall.  It turns out it was a rather expensive practice bat that he did not own.  There is no way I'm ejecting that entertainment.  At least not yet.

• Like 1

Stan Musial game - current and former college players and pro wannabes (delirious, for the most part).  Wise guy lefty cleanup hitter.  I ring up a 2-1 curveball in the upper part of the zone.  He doesn't say anything but I know he is steaming mad.  Then he looks at one right down the c@ck.  As he is walking away he says to me:  "You f@*ked up that whole at-bat,"  I said:  "I didn't look at strike three down the middle, YOU did."  He went into the dugout, splintered his bat against the concrete wall, then grabbed a practice bat and started bashing that against the wall.  It turns out it was a rather expensive practice bat that he did not own.  There is no way I'm ejecting that entertainment.  At least not yet.

B: you've got to be $#!++!ng me?

U: I wouldn't $#!+ you, you're my favorite turd.

• Like 3

Bryce Harper was ejected last year for same thing.  It is automatic.

4 or 5 years ago I had the leadoff hitter for the home team in the 1st inning draw a line in the dirt past the plate after I rang him up for strike 3.  The HC came running down the 3b line from his box hollering "please let me take care of this", so I did.

• 1 month later...

I'll preface this by saying that I totally agree with your ejection, no way can a player do that and get away with it.

That being said, when I was coaching a few years ago I had a player do this and the umpire immediately looked at me and I ran over from the 3rd base coaches box and removed him from the game (and sat him the second game of the DH). I appreciated the fact that the ejection wasn't immediate. He talked to me between innings and said had I not immediately ran over he would have ejected him.

My question, is this an automatic ejection for all of you or do you wait briefly to see how coach responds?

I see it I toss um, I don't care what the coach does I am the enforcer on that field not him
  • Like 1

First thing you learn in law school is the answer to every question is "It depends." I'm a firm believer in situational responses and dislike automatic anything, generally. Works for me.

I heard that same line my first month of law school, too.  However, for this situation, I prefer what my 11th grade English teacher told us the very first day of class, "Depends are undergarments."  In other words, do not answer a question in her class with "depends". 

To wit, each and every time in my career (MiLB, NCAA, AL, FED) that a player has spiked a cap, helmet, glove and/or bat in disgust/objection to a judgment call, I have tossed them.  I haven't missed one yet.  I tossed three batters in the New York-Penn League in my first year in MiLB who all did the same thing: 3-2 count, pitch came in, they started running to first base before I had even made (vocalized) my call, I called, "strike three," they then spiked their helmets.  See ya!

My only ejection this year (so far) involved a head coach who spiked his line-up card holder in disgust at a call...he was gone before it came back down to the ground after it bounced off the grass.

This is as automatic as a game participant saying, "you're the worst F**king umpire of all time."