"drop-down" pitchers

law_reb
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3705 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

We have had a substantial increase in the number of what the local coaches are calling "drop-down" pitchers.  These are the guys I grew up calling submarine or sidewinders.  It seems as though every team I call in high school has at least one now.  Not all are very effective, but we've got a few that can deal.  Had one last nigh that throws mid 80's and has a nasty slider.  I had trouble getting into what I felt to be a comfortable and safe position to call this pitcher.  Last nights pitcher in particular is a righty that steps at a 45 degree angle toward 3rd base.  He then releases from the side or underneath with his arm action.  If I'm in the slot with a righthanded batter I can't see the pitch until it is almost at the plate.  He's throwing from behind the batter.  I tried to move up, I tried to move down, I tried to move back, but I couldn't see anything from the slot.  That left me with the option of moving more toward the center of the plate.  I stretched it a little each pitch until I got to where I could finally track the ball from hand to glove.  Then I realized I was on the opposite side of the catchers head.  Most of these type pitchers don't step way over to the side like he did and I can stay in the slot.  As effective as he is against rightys I'm sure others will try to copy his mechanics.  What have you tried with this type of pitcher that works for you?   Is there a position I can get into that won't get me killed on a foul ball? 

• Like 1

Ditto to your dilemma and to the other advice. Stick with original slot and mechanics. Anything else will negatively affect your consistency and possibly your health.

My .02.. YMMV.

It's similar to the catcher squeezing you or blocking your view.  All you can do is work it the best that you can and call what you see.  Players doing something abnormal isn't the umpire's fault and if it causes you to miss a couple, so be it.  That's why they say that sports builds character.

Try to square up a little more, less heel-toe, more Davis-type setup.

Concentrate on his release point, when you see this type of pitcher coming in, take a few pitches to get a look when he warms up. This works for me.