Prepare for 2014: Play 6

maven
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3699 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I would have to agree with Maven on this. Although I sure would have had to think about it before I ruled on it. Had there not been OBS then there wouldn't have been Int. Now what if you had the same scenario but you have R2 trucking F2? Do you score the run and toss R2? Probably how I would have ruled on it had that happened. Not sure I would be right though.

If I understand MC correctly, runner is out and sent to the showers. That's a pickle, because you have the award and an out contradicting each other. No-win situation, but I would rule home awarded, score the run (as a result of OBS), BR to 1st (Int), and R2 EJ for MC.

What would everyone else do on this? Now I'm curious, and I hope no cats died on me.

If I understand MC correctly, runner is out and sent to the showers. That's a pickle, because you have the award and an out contradicting each other. No-win situation, but I would rule home awarded, score the run (as a result of OBS), BR to 1st (Int), and R2 EJ for MC.

What would everyone else do on this? Now I'm curious, and I hope no cats died on me.

A few issues here:

1. When we EJ a player, he goes to the bench, not the showers (unless you're using that as a metaphor). Safety issue: keep him under adult supervision.
  2. There are no contradictions in baseball. An award is the right to run the bases legally without the risk of being put out. If a runner chooses not to run the bases legally — say, by not touching one, or by committing an illegal act such as hurdling or MC — then he does not automatically get to score. Enforce the penalty for the infraction, and if the runner is consequently out before scoring, then the award lapses and there is no run.

So if that's how you're ruling, that would be the way to enforce it.