3 man MiLB mechanic?

Moriarty_45
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3908 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Saw this mechanic at a AAA MiLB game this weekend. R1, extra base hit down the line all the way to the corner. U1 turns/goes out and gets the fair/foul call. UIC stays home, U1 goes inside as batter/runner ends up at second with a stand up double. Now both U1 and U2 on the inside.  R1 scores easily without a throw.

I know in 3 man once you go out, you stay out. Maybe he just turned for the fair/foul call and didn't go out.  I looked in the CCA and they don't address this. My final thought was that with R1 and an extra base hit and R1 is going to score, UIC stays home, U1 after getting fair/foul comes to the inside to box the batter/runner. Who has the answer?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally, once you turn your back, you are out; you stay out! Reverts to two man. Plate umpire heads up 3rd baseline, sees no play, goes home, 3rd base umpire, who is already inside, takes the rest. I dunno. Sounds unique.

Sounds like a crew thing. But what I have noticed, watching 3 man Indy league, is that a line ump will go out on a fair- foul base hit in front of him due to the possibility of the fair tailing ball being subject to spectator INT or going under the tarp. This might be a crew thing also depending on the field situation.

If U1 didn't go out then they would be rotating.  Since the didn't rotate U1 must have gone out.

But if there were less than 2 outs (and maybe even then in MiLB mechanics) then then *next* position is going to be B-D so maybe U1 was just heading there and got there early.  Or maybe there was the potential for a rundown between 2b and 3b so he was heading there.

Or, they just kicked it a bit.  S*** happens. ;)

I'm not a huge fan of...Go Out, Stay Out. If I'm working with guys I know, I trust them to make the best decision. Gotta have good communication. Now umpires that are still learning 3-man, probably best they stay out and just be an extra set of and observe play.

HP staying home could also have been influenced by the count and number of outs.

Some good input on this thread about it either way.