Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4777 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

We would like to welcome the 10 umpires coming in from around the US and 2 International umpires coming in to the Senior League World Series in Bangor, Maine. The tournament starts on August 10th and runs to the following Saturday.

I believe that this is our 11th year hosting the event, and it just gets better each year.

Great baseball played by teams from the US, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and Canada.

We have had some great umpires come through our town and look forward to many more.

 

Senior League is a division (15-16 yo) of Little League

 

Click here for more information

  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

And these folks are all volunteers and receive no pay.

 

I admire them. I don't understand them, but I admire them.

Posted

Actually it has been around 90 and real humid for the last few weeks. Today turned out cooler, but of course it is raining

Posted

The NC state champs. are from the LL. I work at a lot. I know all these boys well since I've been umpiring their games since they were in minors. Great group of guys and I would love to see them make it to Maine. I feel like I helped them get there. I made them better hitters with my giant zone. :nod:

  • Like 1
Posted

And these folks are all volunteers and receive no pay.

 

I admire them. I don't understand them, but I admire them.

What's to understand or not understand?

Some of us umpire some games for free. Lots of kids can't afford to play in a big dollar pay to play league. I consider it community service.

After this year I'll have worked 3 LL regionals and the Senior League World Series and I've had a great time doing all of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

We would like to welcome the 10 umpires coming in from around the US and 2 International umpires coming in to the Senior League World Series in Bangor, Maine. The tournament starts on August 10th and runs to the following Saturday.

I believe that this is our 11th year hosting the event, and it just gets better each year.

Great baseball played by teams from the US, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and Canada.

We have had some great umpires come through our town and look forward to many more.

 

Senior League is a division (15-16 yo) of Little League

 

Click here for more information

Their is a team from my District coming up there to play. That got me on the website. What is the ground rule on the flagpole inside the fence? The pics show a blue line at fence height and "in play" below the line and "out of play above the line". If a ball hits above the blue line and goes out is that different than if a ball hits above the blue line and comes back in?

 

http://worldseries.bangorinfo.com/Stadium/Ground_Rules/Ground_Rules/ground_rules_6.html

Posted

 

We would like to welcome the 10 umpires coming in from around the US and 2 International umpires coming in to the Senior League World Series in Bangor, Maine. The tournament starts on August 10th and runs to the following Saturday.

I believe that this is our 11th year hosting the event, and it just gets better each year.

Great baseball played by teams from the US, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America and Canada.

We have had some great umpires come through our town and look forward to many more.

 

Senior League is a division (15-16 yo) of Little League

 

Click here for more information

Their is a team from my District coming up there to play. That got me on the website. What is the ground rule on the flagpole inside the fence? The pics show a blue line at fence height and "in play" below the line and "out of play above the line". If a ball hits above the blue line and goes out is that different than if a ball hits above the blue line and comes back in?

 

http://worldseries.bangorinfo.com/Stadium/Ground_Rules/Ground_Rules/ground_rules_6.html

 

That flag pole is inside the fence, because there were many flags stolen when the old pole was outside. The money was raised for that pole by our local HS board.

The blue line is at the height of the top of the fence. It is treated like a foul pole - hit above the fence is HR and below is keep 'em running. The line is there to help the umpires working a 2-man system as a guide. In a 3 or 4 man system, you can usually get there to see it ok. The pole is 4oo feet away, so needless to say it doesn't get hit very often.

I have never seen the pole hit in the air - there have been HR hit near it, but never off the pole (that I know of). I have seen the pole hit near the bottom.

I hope that your team has a great time while here in Bangor and good luck to them and their fans. This is a great tournament.

  • 5 weeks later...
Posted

I , for one, had an unbelievable time at the SLWS this year.  Maineump and the rest of the tournament hosts were beyond accomodating.  While some of the games had some controversy, we had fun.  I have to honestly say that this is the first post season assignement where all 12 invitees got along and were able to work seamlessly.  In the past, there always seemed to be just one that had to do his own thing.  Maineump, a well deserved and hearty THANK YOU for a wonderful experience.

  • Like 2
×
×
  • Create New...