National Anthem

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4064 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Do you Hand Salute?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Hand Salute during the National Anthem?

• Yes I do
    • I just hold my hand to the heart
    • Neither - Lets play ball!

When I work anthem games, I stand as prescribed in the PBUC book. There is however, one park  that I frequent that throws us for a loop by having the Canadian flag at the top of the grandstand behind the plate, where the guy in the last row would be sitting if he was on 3B extended. When there is a need to fly the American flag, it sits in a position directly opposite (so 1BEx). We just turn around and face the flag(s).

I too hold my cover in my right hand while covering my heart and standing at attention. I am a vet but do not like to draw attention to it while on the field just as Hai'd said. Enough people notice that I am military by other habits i have, including standing at attention during the anthem, i don't want to draw any other attention to myself.

I don't understand what he's saying, as would most who aren't Military.

It's the flag code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

When carried in a procession, the flag should be to the right of the marchers.

When other flags are carried, the flag of the United States may be centered in front of the others or carried to their right. When the flag passes in a procession, or when it is hoisted or lowered, all should face the flag and salute.

To salute, all persons come to attention.

Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute.

Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute.

Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over the heart and men with head cover should remove it and hold it to left shoulder, hand over the heart.

Citizens who are not veterans or members of the armed services should not render the military salute.

Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention.

All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.

I wasn't talking about the flag code, I was talking about Jocko's explanation of how he stands .........

At attention.

It's the flag code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

When carried in a procession, the flag should be to the right of the marchers.

When other flags are carried, the flag of the United States may be centered in front of the others or carried to their right. When the flag passes in a procession, or when it is hoisted or lowered, all should face the flag and salute.

To salute, all persons come to attention.

Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute.

Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute.

Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over the heart and men with head cover should remove it and hold it to left shoulder, hand over the heart.

Citizens who are not veterans or members of the armed services should not render the military salute.

Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention.

All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.

I wasn't talking about the flag code, I was talking about Jocko's explanation of how he stands .........

At attention.

I got it guys, position of attention, I got it, and I also assume a 'cover' is your cap??  It was as if Jocko's first post was written in code.  We discussed it via text, it's good ........

It's the flag code.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_CodeWhen carried in a procession, the flag should be to the right of the marchers.When other flags are carried, the flag of the United States may be centered in front of the others or carried to their right. When the flag passes in a procession, or when it is hoisted or lowered, all should face the flag and salute.To salute, all persons come to attention.Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute.Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over the heart and men with head cover should remove it and hold it to left shoulder, hand over the heart.Citizens who are not veterans or members of the armed services should not render the military salute.Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention.All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.
 At attention.
I got it guys, position of attention, I got it, and I also assume a 'cover' is your cap?? 

BINGO

It was as if Jocko's first post was written in code

IT WAS :)