Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5165 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Just sharing an article from the local paper regarding the Valley League (local NCAA Summer Wood Bat League). A rain-shortened playoff game was declared over - the winning team in that game goes on to be the eventual League Tournament Champion. Some think the called game should have been played to completion, but the rules were correctly applied.

http://www.newsleader.com/article/20120804/SPORTS/308040029/Game-decision-major-mistake?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage%20DontMiss|s

Posted

Deal with it. You make an agreement before the game if there is to be a game that must be played to completion. Otherwise, tough. We don't write the rules, we just enforce them, no matter if we don't think it is truly fair to end a playoff game early.

Posted

So I have to wait for a kid to blow out his ACL stepping on and slipping on a base covered in dirt before they'll start having BU's carry plate brushes? :fuel::Horse: :D

Posted

So I have to wait for a kid to blow out his ACL stepping on and slipping on a base covered in dirt before they'll start having BU's carry plate brushes? :fuel::Horse::D

How is that germane to this topic or are you just engaging in self flagellation?

I've done this more than a few years and I've never seen a player slip on a dirty base. Now of course that doesn't mean it couldn't happen but its not worth adopting a ridiculous and useless mechanic to potentially prevent a freak occurrence.

How does pickled red herring taste anyways?

  • Like 1
Posted

Now back to the OP...it seems the author is trying to hang his hat on the fact that by NCAA policy, not by the rulebook, playoff games are played to completion. I think that is a fact lost on him and in general, I've noticed that many seem to have a hard time separating league policy from the actual playing rules.

×
×
  • Create New...