Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5212 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

10U pool play game for weekend tournament, I am base umpire, in A, 1st inning. Ground ball to short, throws to first. I have ball in glove, look down to make sure foot is on base (since F3 got a late break), call the out. Team who just had runner called out starts to argue ball was dropped. Stated I had a catch on the base, out stands. Coach goes to plate ump, who sends him properly my way, asks me to check, I say, no way, I am 100% sure he is out. At the end of the inning coach comes out and says to me "There is no excuse for you not to go for help with 2 umpires." I reply, coach, it is my call, I was 100% sure I have it right, I am not going for help. Some more moaning and groaning, when I tell coach, "it is over, we are not discussing it anymore." The coach wisely goes back to his dugout, do not hear another peep from him the rest of the game. Don't know if that was my warning or the fact that his team proceeded to get utterly destroyed.

BTW, asked my plate umpire after the game, said I was 100% correct on the call. I know I could of canned the coach immediately for the comment, but I felt that a warning could do the job, which it did, since nothing else had happened in the game.

Posted

"I have ball in glove, look down to make sure foot is on base"

Don't you look at the base for the runner's foot and listen for the pop? Then you go up to see the ball? You would already know if F3 had the bag.

Posted

I try to do that, but on this play, I did not. First play of the day and in 2 weeks for me, a little rusty I guess.

A bad throw or pick can distract you from focusing on the bag. Stay focused. Easier said than done.

Posted

I try to do that, but on this play, I did not. First play of the day and in 2 weeks for me, a little rusty I guess.

A bad throw or pick can distract you from focusing on the bag. Stay focused. Easier said than done.

This.

I had an F4 granny lob the ball about 12 feet in the air to F3. I was so dumbfounded at the stupid throw, I ended up following it all the way to the mitt. Who knows if I got that call right. I called it safe for the stupid throw and no one argued.

Posted

I try to do that, but on this play, I did not. First play of the day and in 2 weeks for me, a little rusty I guess.

A bad throw or pick can distract you from focusing on the bag. Stay focused. Easier said than done.

This.

I had an F4 granny lob the ball about 12 feet in the air to F3. I was so dumbfounded at the stupid throw, I ended up following it all the way to the mitt. Who knows if I got that call right. I called it safe for the stupid throw and no one argued.

Sometimes it seems that if DT makes a really good play on the ball, a whacker tends to go their way. And vice-versa, if they make bonehead play, whacker tends to favor OT. Only after the fact. I never think about it on the field, but as I recount plays in my mind I notice this tendency. I always call it as seen at the time, it just seems to happpen sometimes.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

10U pool play game for weekend tournament, I am base umpire, in A, 1st inning. Ground ball to short, throws to first. I have ball in glove, look down to make sure foot is on base (since F3 got a late break), call the out. Team who just had runner called out starts to argue ball was dropped. Stated I had a catch on the base, out stands. Coach goes to plate ump, who sends him properly my way, asks me to check, I say, no way, I am 100% sure he is out. At the end of the inning coach comes out and says to me "There is no excuse for you not to go for help with 2 umpires." I reply, coach, it is my call, I was 100% sure I have it right, I am not going for help. Some more moaning and groaning, when I tell coach, "it is over, we are not discussing it anymore." The coach wisely goes back to his dugout, do not hear another peep from him the rest of the game. Don't know if that was my warning or the fact that his team proceeded to get utterly destroyed.

BTW, asked my plate umpire after the game, said I was 100% correct on the call. I know I could of canned the coach immediately for the comment, but I felt that a warning could do the job, which it did, since nothing else had happened in the game.

In the A position, there is only ONE reason to go to your partner on a call at 1B - if F3 is pulled off the bag and makes a swipe tag. If you're not sure if he did or didn't tag the BR, delay your call, point to and ask your partner: "Did he tag him?" Hopefully, your partner is watching. When he lets you know, you make the appropriate call.

And, a warning was appropriate as well. I umped by the credo: "Warn if you can, eject if you must." Some ejections are automatic - coach/player makes physical contact with you, threatens you, etc. We each have our own "do's and don'ts" when we umpire. That has to be as consistent as our calling balls and strikes. Some umps have a hair trigger, others are more tolerant, perhaps TOO tolerant at times. You have to find a happy medium.

×
×
  • Create New...