Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5859 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Had my first Fall Ball game last night. It was a 12U game Babe Ruth. I'm PU.

Everything went pretty well except for 1 minor glitch.

Batter hit a ground ball just a few feet down on the first base side. F2 picks up the ball and hits the Runner square on the back about 3/4 of the way to 1st.

Well the runner never even got close to the running lane. He ran the whole way to 1st in Fair territory. I called him Out.

Coach wanted to argue. I told him he better just turn around because it was very obvious.

Other than that it was a good game. It was good to get back on the field after a 6 week layoff.

  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Had my first Fall Ball game last night. It was a 12U game Babe Ruth. I'm PU.

Everything went pretty well except for 1 minor glitch.

Batter hit a ground ball just a few feet down on the first base side. F2 picks up the ball and hits the Runner square on the back about 3/4 of the way to 1st.

Well the runner never even got close to the running lane. He ran the whole way to 1st in Fair territory. I called him Out.

Coach wanted to argue. I told him he better just turn around because it was very obvious.

Other than that it was a good game. It was good to get back on the field after a 6 week layoff.

Jax

Glad your back on the field.

I only have one question about the Coach arguing.

If your fall ball is like ours, it is usually instructional and suppose to be non-competitive.

It should also be a time for us to educated coaches when possible.

Perhaps instead of telling him to just turn around because it was very obvious, (perhaps not that obvious to him), you could have tried another approach.

Coach, we are not going to argue the call but I would be happy to explain the situation and rule for my call.

Educate them every chance you get and it may help prevent problems come next spring.

Posted

Jax

Glad your back on the field.

I only have one question about the Coach arguing.

If your fall ball is like ours, it is usually instructional and suppose to be non-competitive.

It should also be a time for us to educated coaches when possible.

Perhaps instead of telling him to just turn around because it was very obvious, (perhaps not that obvious to him), you could have tried another approach.

Coach, we are not going to argue the call but I would be happy to explain the situation and rule for my call.

Educate them every chance you get and it may help prevent problems come next spring.

Yes very good suggestion. I will definitely keep that in mind.

I think I may have started to lose my cool when he came out arguing without calling time or anything.

But maybe next time I will explain to a coach what the proper procedures are for them to come out on the field to talk about a call.

Thanks for putting me on the right track! :shrug:

Posted

Yes very good suggestion. I will definitely keep that in mind.

I think I may have started to lose my cool when he came out arguing without calling time or anything.

But maybe next time I will explain to a coach what the proper procedures are for them to come out on the field to talk about a call.

Thanks for putting me on the right track! :shrug:

Jax

You should always cover that at your plate meeting.

Let them know to call time, make sure time is granted and that they are they the only ones you want to come out and talk to. Keep the other coaches out of it.

Posted

I called my first fall ball game last week, high school ages. I actually had a coach apologize for a comment he had said in an earlier inning. My partner & I both looked at him and said "Huh?". We didn't even hear him. By the way, this league is all about instruction for umpires and players. This was my partner's first ever game. It was fun and great to be on the field again. We have two more Sundays scheduled and then we're done.

Posted

If your fall ball is like ours, it is usually instructional and suppose to be non-competitive.

It should also be a time for us to educated coaches when possible.

I don't disagree, but it's not entirely universal that way. Here, we've got a few leagues that are under the LL "Big League" Banner or some such, but it's essentially JV and Varsity teams, so the coaches can see what they have for the upcoming year, and continue their development. So some of our games, at least, have coaches who know full <bleep>ing well what they can and can't do.

I had a coach do a variation of call-counting last week in this (ahem) not-competitive environment. Since he was walking away, I didn't bother to launch him, like I might have in the spring. Also, I have to say it caught me off-guard.

But let's not assume all the coaches out there this fall are newbies.

Posted

Well fall ball should start soon for me I am doing a tournament on the 2 & 3 weekend, and games should start just before that. After getting my book from Jim Evan's, my 3 new magestic shirts, and unexpectedly receiving the 2011 FED rules which I ordered in early July I am more than ready to go get back on the field and get dirty while exterminating some rats. :o

Posted

Let them know to call time, make sure time is granted and that they are they the only ones you want to come out and talk to. Keep the other coaches out of it.

This weekend, after a ball 4 that loaded the bases, I watched F2 walk toward the mound without requesting time. I stood there and watched him, waiting for R3 to break for home. Just as F2 was getting to the mound, I looked toward the 1B line -- the DC was standing there, requesting time. I would assume he'd been there waiting for me to call time, as it was obvious he wasn't moving toward the line.

I was impressed. Most coaches would just jog toward the mound, giving a half-assed "time" request.

Posted

I don't disagree, but it's not entirely universal that way. Here, we've got a few leagues that are under the LL "Big League" Banner or some such, but it's essentially JV and Varsity teams, so the coaches can see what they have for the upcoming year, and continue their development. So some of our games, at least, have coaches who know full <bleep>ing well what they can and can't do.

I had a coach do a variation of call-counting last week in this (ahem) not-competitive environment. Since he was walking away, I didn't bother to launch him, like I might have in the spring. Also, I have to say it caught me off-guard.

But let's not assume all the coaches out there this fall are newbies.

I do not disagree with you either.

But the OP was 12U Babe Ruth.

We also have H.S. Fall Ball starting next Saturday.

Yes those coaches know what they are doing.


×
×
  • Create New...