Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5895 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Yesterday I was working a softball tourney. I had two games with one of the same teams.

First game, there was a close play at third on a steal. I was BU. I felt I had a good look at it, even though the tag might have been high, I still had an out.

1B coach (Manager) requests time and comes over to me on my way back to A. He exclaims his runner got under the tag.

Him: Can you ask for help?

Me: No coach, tag was there in time.

Him: Are you sure?

Me: Yes coach, she's out.

I have him and his team again later in the day. This time his BR tried going for 2B during a play at HP. This time there was a swipe tag as the runner came into second. I call her out. Runner looks up at me and says "She didn't touch me." "Yes she did." :cool2:

1B coach requests time again and comes to me on my way back to A.

Him: I don't think she tug her...are you sure about this one? (I knew what he was referring to)

Me: Yes coach...she tug her.

Him: Did she block her off the bag or anything? :crazy:

Me: :HS No.

Him: Can you ask for help on that?

Me: No, my partner had a play back there and won't be able to help.

Him: Well both me and him had the same angle! :rollinglaugh:

He spoke in a calm manner on both plays. Though a coach should never bring up what happened in a previous game, he handled himself better then most I've had. :jerkit:

  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Based on the dialogue it doesn't sound like an ejection was needed. Nothing escalated, I don't think the coach was being an a$$, he just felt you missed the call, nothing personal. Maybe right after he brought up the past you could come up with a "That's Enough" but nothing other than that.

Posted

Tug? What's a tug?

Maybe it's a bit like the past tense of slide... according to Dizzy Dean, "If that runner had slud into second, he'da been safe."

:rollinglaugh:

Posted

Maybe it's a bit like the past tense of slide... according to Dizzy Dean, "If that runner had slud into second, he'da been safe."

:rollinglaugh:

That's hilarious!!

Posted (edited)

"Tug" must be one of those north-eastern things :rollinglaugh:

"Tagged" for the rest of you.

Actually, I misquoted Mr. Dean.

"He slud into third."

"Well what's wrong with ain't? And as for saying 'Rizzuto slud into second' it just ain't natural. Sounds silly to me. Slud is something more than slid. It means sliding with great effort."

Northeastern?!?

Jerome Hanna 'Dizzy' Dean - b. January 16, 1910, in Lucas, Arkansas; d. July 17, 1974.

I can remember a "Game of the Week" being held up one Saturday afternoon... Joe Garagiola was in the booth with.. whomever... and ol' Diz was up there with them, and somehow they let him sing a song... and somebody thought it'd be fun to put Diz on the ballpark's PA system.... there he was, in the 3rd verse of the "Wabash Cannonball", echoing all around the ballpark.... LOL.... and there was the home plate umpire, standing with hands on his hips, staring up at the press box. ... LOL

Edited by BrianC14
Posted

It was girls softball.

She didn't TUG of the sliding players shorts while she was sliding by into the base.


×
×
  • Create New...