Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5904 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I worked 2 games yesterday, 18U Impromptu 4 team tournament.

7 inning, 2 hour time limit.

One Man Mechanics

First game went without a hitch.

Second game was Championship Game

First 5 1/2 innings no problem.

Bottom of 6th I became a ball magnet.

Bottom of 6

Left hand batter, foul in the dirt.

Get by the catcher and gets me in Right Thigh. Ouch.

Hear coach tell catcher to go talk to pitcher.

Top of 7

Right Hand Batter.

Inside pitch, fouled.

Smacks off throat protector and top edge of CP and gets a little bone. CP had slipped down a little. OUCH 2

Hear coach tell catcher to go talk to pitcher.

Bottom 7

Right Hand Batter.

Foul in dirt, between catchers legs, some how gets under Throat Protector and gets me in the throat...OUCH 3

Both coaches come out and make sure I am alright.

Right Hand Batter

Inside pitch, foul straight back.

Hard straight on hit to mask. Damn OUCH 4

That one really rocked me.

I here spectators say Game Over.

Both coaches come out again to check on me..

One takes a close look at me and says your head really snapped back on that one.

I gather myself again and PLAY.

3rd out is made and I step to the back stop to get some water and gather myself from the hits.

I turn and see both teams coming out of dugouts to shake hands.

I ask, Don't we have another half inning.

Coaches say, no that was it.

I am saying Thank God.

I think I lost a half inning with the mask shot.

Gear bag was in dugout since parking lot was a hike.

Started stripping off my gear and one coach come to me and to see if I am alright.

Yea, just got a nasty headache now.

Get home, eat a couple of sandwiches and 800mg of ibuprofen for desert.

Still have a slight headache located right in my forehead this morning.

I have taken shots before, but not that many and not that hard, not only in one game, or even a day. But that many in a inning and half, I think the ball became magnetized to me.

Before anyone asks, yes I was set up in the slot.

  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I believe getting hit is just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Last season seems like I was getting hit hard almost every game. I had people tell me to think about changing my positioning back there, but I was seeing the ball really well and stuck with what I was doing.

This season I only took one hard shot the entire season. Nothing changed but my luck.

Posted

If you still have a headache in the morning I'd see a Dr.

Scarry stuff there. I got my bell rung well once this year.

Didn't you mention some time back you were using the zero gravity mouth guard? If so were you wearing it then?

Posted

If you still have a headache in the morning I'd see a Dr.

Scarry stuff there. I got my bell rung well once this year.

Didn't you mention some time back you were using the zero gravity mouth guard? If so were you wearing it then?

Tried the mouth guard out.

Stopped using it because I didn't think I needed it since I wasn't taking shots to the mask....lol.

Headache has been fading throughout the day.

Been resting and watching TV.

Glad I had no games today.

I haven't taken anything for it because I didn't want to mask anything.

If there is anything lingering around Monday morning I will go in.

I am pretty sure I had got a slight concussion.

To stubborn to go to Dr unless I have to.

If there are any remaining problems Monday morning I will go in.

Posted

Glad you are ok.........and somedays it does seem like that do attach that bulls eye to us........

Took a direct mask shot this year that rocked me as well.........and with similar results.... I believe had I been wearing a moutpiece I would have been ok........

Posted

After the headache coming back this morning and being told by several people to go to Doctor, I did.

They took some xrays and did find a brain..;)

Doctor said I more than likely suffered a slight concussion and my neck is sore from a little whip lash. Said we passed the critical period since it happened Sat evening. He also said not to wait to come in next time. :D

Rest a few days, take ibuprofen and as long as the head ache doesn't get any worse it should be gone in a couple of days.

Posted

I hear you Semper.

At times this year, I've wondered if I was disguised as part of the back-stop.

Rest up and you'll be back out there in no time.


×
×
  • Create New...