Backing up a team mate

NovaScotiaBlue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5024 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I figured this would be the place for this posting since it involves an ejection. It's going to be a bit of a ramble to start with but you will soon see where I am going with this.

Here's the scenario...Summer Wood Bat league, College age players AAA level. 3 man system

In the second inning, the visitors find themselves on the wrong end of a botched call by the PU. The call is corrected they don't like it and the end result is one of their players is ejected. Later in the same inning there is a close play at the plate which again goes against the visitors. I am U1 the play preceding the call put me in the infield between 1st and 2nd base. There is a lot of complaining from a number of the visiting team players, and from this position I see and hear the VT second baseman moving in from his position toward the pitchers mound, pointing his glove and yelling at the home plate umpire, "That's 2 you have missed now!!! You are F@#%ing Terrible!!! When I heard and saw this I ejected the player. When the VT manager came out to find out why the player was ejected he felt I may have been a little harsh... I told him the player should know better than to say things like that. I feel when a player says something like that he's not just saying it to one umpire he is saying it to all 3.

Was an ejection in order here? I did it to back up my PU. I would appreciate any feedback

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect! Could not have done it better myself.

No one should keep scores on the umpire(s) and if they do, surely not saying it out loud. But using F*** words toward an umpire -or any other field user, might even be the camara man--> immediate EJ ! and if the manager or coaches wants to argue, he/they will be following the player as well.

Weather you should wait till the PU says something about it? I wouldn't cause if he is a sissy/pleasing one, the player will remain in the game and I would have to live with my concience for the rest of the game..

it would be a call like calling the BALK.. rightaway, the moment it happens.