Throw downs to second

T-Rav
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5025 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

For the last 2 games I did I have had 2 close plays on throw downs at second and I feel like even though they were very very very close I blew them, called them safe both times. It started when I was in B for a throw down and almost got drilled in the head with a ball from a throw down to second and now I keep my eyes on the ball the whole time and am calling guys safe when I feel they are out after the play but very closely. :cheers:

Other wise I feel great with my calls and have no second guesses even though these last two tournament games have had many close calls. What is the proper mechanic for throw down's to second while in B?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are doing the correct mechanic--keep your eye always on the ball and let the ball take you to the bag--here is where I think your problem is--after you make the call you feel that you made a mistake-SSSLLLOOOWWW down let the play finish let the tag be made the ball shown--then and only then after you digested the play make the call.

PS close play = OUTS (outs get us home)

+1 on keeping your eye on the ball. Once you take your eye of it you will find yourself looking at the wrong play. (Maybe F1 cut it off and threw to 3rd and you didnt see it.)

+1 on slowing down. I was in B and Batter hit a ground ball to F6. The throw to first was low in the dirt. Very close play. I wasn't sure if F1 caught it or trapped it. So I am looking for like 3-4 seconds to make sure. I hear from the 1st base dugout "Make a Call!" I say to F3 "Show me the Ball" He did have it securely. I say "OUT!"

I would also add be mindful of your positioning in the "B" position. If you are to "deep" in B for a steal attempt, you can find yourself with a bad angle and looking into the sliding runners back and miss the tag on a close play. It helps to know the base runners a bit. You should be able to tell if you have a guy on base that is a potential steal threat. Usually his place in the batting order or the type of lead the runner is taking will help you to determine this. When I have a possible steal threat, I usualy take a few steps closer to the mound and a few steps to the right. On the throw down, I keep my chest to the ball moving a few steps closer to 2nd base as the throw passes me. I go to my set, let the play complete and then make my call. Timing is everything because you never know when you might have an over-slide, dropped ball or whatever...

• 3 weeks later...

T-Rav, everyone here is giving the correct advice. slow down and make sure you see the whole play and make your call. the only thing I would like to add is that we all miss one from time to time. ofcourse it will bother you but you have to let it go, in your post you said there were 2 games where you feel you missed a call and in the first one you almost were hit by the ball. maybe the second one was some sort of residual from the first game. you knew you were using the wrong mechanic and changed it... good for you thats how we get better but maybe you were so worried about being in the right position and using the right mechanic you didnt focus on the play. my bet is next base assignment you get you will do a great job and the past will be in the past.