Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5910 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

14U FP with bases loaded and 1 out. Hard grounder to F6 (playing in). Play at the plate. Runner comes in standing and collides with cather as ball arrives. Catcher drops ball and I make the easy interference call. Coach runs out telling me that the ball hit the runner in the back after she hit plate. Calmly repeat the call and move on when HC announces he can't believe I can make that call on such a close play at the plate. Gotta love it.

  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

What rule set is this under? I'm not familiar with other softball rules, but under LL, I've probably got nothing here. I might have obstruction, but probably just a train wreck. You say that the runner collides with the catcher as the ball arives. The slide or avoid rule is only in effect with a fielder who "has the ball and is waiting to make the tag" [7.08(a)(3) LL] Sounds like to me F2 didn't have the ball, which means the right of way goes to the runner.

Posted

Every local rule set put in that the runner must slide to avoid contact. No train wreck. Slide at the plate to avoid running into the catcher. Every league I work in has adopted this rule and makes a point at mentioning during ground rules.

Posted

Must slide to avoid contact? They can't just run around them or stop? Typically it's must slide or avoid. I'd check the exact wording and make sure everyone's enforcing this right...

Posted

I'm sorry. Slide or avoid. Didn't read what I wrote. Anyway, every league is putting it in, even in the PONY tournaments I'm doing. Easy call. Maybe a HTBT, but no obstruction on this play. They just want the kids sliding or avoiding so no injuries.

Posted

I've never been a big fan of the sliding rule sets. Too many kids don't know the proper way to slide which is why there is usually an injury in every league every year due to the slide rule.

Posted

I'm sorry. Slide or avoid. Didn't read what I wrote. Anyway, every league is putting it in, even in the PONY tournaments I'm doing. Easy call. Maybe a HTBT, but no obstruction on this play. They just want the kids sliding or avoiding so no injuries.

Do you mind posting the full rule that relates to sliding or avoiding? I'm thinking there's some misunderstanding of the rule.

Posted

They talk about it in their specific local leagues. But when letting us know what modified rules pertain to their league, it's a simple, the runner must slide or avoid when a play is being made (and the POE is always on the plate).

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

What? You mean baseball & softball is a contact sport? <from another post> It's time to alert the media! Next thing you know they will be putting tan bark on playgrounds instead of the macadam/asphalt we grew up with and making playground equipment out of non-lead based plastic!


×
×
  • Create New...