Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6573 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Unfortunately,:( I will probably not be able to make it online tomorrow. Yesterday I was volunteered to do a task for work which will keep me out of the office all day. Usually when I get volunteered to do something its something the rest of the firms administration has passed on and I "get" to do it by default. This is nearly the opposite. The firm I work for is the largest in the region and is the major sponsor of a charity golf tournament put on by the Association of Legal Administrators we committed to providing a number of volunteers, but one person from our firm's wife will be having surgery, another will be heading down to a convention in Orlando, and then there was me. So tomorrow I will have the unenviable job of being the official hole spotter for hole 17 where an ace will win somebody a new car. There will also be a prize for closest to the pin. The firm thought that with my umpiring background I would be the best person for that job. :confused:

So I will be sitting on my camping chair from 10:00 to 4:30 enjoying a beautiful day and all the FCAB's the beer cart girl can bring me. Then I have a Pony game that evening with a partner I enjoy and a field I don't go to that often, but have had nothing but great experiences at.

Life is good.:cool::eek:

Now I need to try and find a way to become a professional hole spotter????

  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

My terrible day work yesterday got worse. It was too beautiful of a day -- upper 70's with a nice breeze (the golfers didn't care for it). I found myself wishing I was calling a game, except there's no free beer for umpires at a baseball game.

Making the day even worse yet The Blue Angels were practicing for the Air Show at NAS Oceana this weekend and I got to sit on my camping chair, beer in hand, watching The Blue Angels.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Kinda reminds me of the terrible day that I had to endure at Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago, having to bask with my golden tan whilst sitting in my beach chair, refreshing frosty beverageS in hand,:givebeer: with a great turnout of MILF Angels that day, binoculars fully functional while watch the BLUE Angels practice for their show there!

The things we force ourselves to endure in order to preserve our way of life---all in the name of truth, justice and the American Way!:bang:

Warren, my question for you is, with your important job as a hole spotter (did it ever move?? Sorry, couldn't resist..Why do I keep envisioning Bill Murray in Caddyshack?) do you feel that the mechanics learned at one of Lance's combines served to enhance your capabilities in your endeavor??:ranton:;)

Posted

I did not drink enough for the hole to start moving -- I did have a game that afternoon.

I think the way I positioned my camping chair may have been similar to the way Lance teaches his umpires to place their camping chair when working the B/C position. But unfortunately I missed his combines. My game will have to suffer yet another year. What I don't know is if suggests folding the camping chair or carrying it open from position to position?

Posted

At the last clinic, Lance highly recommended this chair:

http://www.picnicfun.com/products/radio-cooler-chair?utm_campaign=Product-Datafeeds&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_source=Google-Base

His reasons were so blatantly obvious.....comfortable folding chair with BOTH a built in cooler AND an am/fm radio capability which, as you well know since you are undoubtedly working The Big Game of course, you can tune into the live radio broadcast. ( Or your favorite disco oldie station)

The advantage, Lance says to the radio capability, is that you can clean out any necessary motormouths in the pressbox who may disagree with a call you make or generally portray you in a bad way to the listening audience..

Room enough for an entire case of your fav frosty beverage and VERY advantageous for any ump possessing a face made only for radio---like Lance....


×
×
  • Create New...