Difference between New Umps and Vets

buddywilshire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5079 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This is my third year umping and my first year doing legion and above. So basically I'm a puppy when it comes to this. Today I noticed two huge difference between my partner Reggie, who was BU, and I, who was PU clearly.

1. The ability to express his calls faster. Let me explain. When Reggie would make a call it was a solid, perfectly timed. When I would make call it was not as well timed. Like I had a foul tip for a K. Perfect mechanic, but I have think it through. I'm thinking " Pitch, saw contact, saw catcher catch it, didn't hear ball hit ground, ok Foul Tip, out." I believe with more training and more games I will out grow this and things will become easier.

2. Being in the right place at the right time. Reggie is in his mid fifties and does this as he is preparing for retirement. He is not in top shape and really doesn't move well. I'm in my late 20's and in pretty good shape. Even with this he still seems to find himself in the right spot. Why? Because Reggie has seen so many more games and plays then me that he can make to his spot because he knows where the play is going while I have to use my speed to make up ground. Just another advantage the Vets have over us Rookies.

Again these are just two things and I know there are more. Does anyone else have any?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your post sounds like a conversation that I had with one of pur younger umpires the other night. He felt he had as much ability as the guy working an adult game. I agreed that was true but he had to realize that he still is in the stage that he is thinking about his mechanics and rules interpretations. I watched him work a game earlier in the evening and there were two sitches that required a rules interp. In both cases he got it right but he got together with his partner and discussed it before making the ruling.

I told him he needs to continue his training so his mechanics just happen instead of thinking about where to go. The same is true with the rules but some guys will always take longer to pull it out of their brain.

do not worry about how slow you are--remember to AAALLLWWWAAAYYYSS TTTAAAKKKEEE YYYOOOUUURRR TTTIIIMMMEEE--do not hurry your call. About mechanics--work the manule and you should be there most of the time.

+1

And move with a purpose. :smachhead: