Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6017 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Had a situation in a high school game I'm not sure of today. Runner on 1st no outs, B1 hits the ball to short, out at 2nd, throw to 1st hit's in and out of F3's glove, and bounces off the 1st base coach who's in his box, then rolls out of play (it's only about 4-5 ft to the fence). I just treated it as a ball out of play, but had the 1st base coach not been there, it would've just hit the fence and R2 wouldn't have advanced. Any advice on what I could've done? Nobody complained so I let it go.

  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

If you didn't see intention by the coach then its nothing. You made the right call.

Posted

No interference here. Ball is out of play. Nothing you can do to avoid this. You may want to vocalize the fact that there was no interference by the coach. Say something like "NOTHING THERE" and give the safe signal so everyone knows that you saw what happened and no interference happened. This way everyone knows that you're on top of the play.

Posted

Similar situation last night. Fed rules. On fairly routine play F6 overthrows 1st baseman. Ball rolls into dugout as BR overruns 1st. 1 base awarded BR. Correct?

Posted

Incorrect, it is a two base award from time of pitch. The result is second so it seems like it is an one base award but it is really two. The only one base award is from the mound with an engaged pitcher.

Posted

The question I received was that the coach wanted 3rd base awarded. However, at the time the ball rolled into dugout, BR was a step away from the bag. He touched base, overran, and then came back and stood on bag. I had time called and waved him to second base which was 2 base from time of pitch, but 1 from where he was standing. Had he already touched 1st base when ball rolled OOP I would have awarded 3rd.

Posted

The question I received was that the coach wanted 3rd base awarded. However, at the time the ball rolled into dugout, BR was a step away from the bag. He touched base, overran, and then came back and stood on bag. I had time called and waved him to second base which was 2 base from time of pitch, but 1 from where he was standing. Had he already touched 1st base when ball rolled OOP I would have awarded 3rd.

You would have been wrong then. He gets two bases from the time of the pitch since it is the first throw on the infield that went out of play. When the ball went into dead ball territory is irrelevant.

Posted

Thanks - that was not an issue - definately came back and made sure he touched base.

He doesn't need to come back and touch first (given that in a later post you indicated that he touched it the first time he overran first).

Lots to learn in this situation, even though you ended up with the right outcome (BR at second).

Posted

Base award basics:

One base- a throw by the pitcher while engaged, either a pitch or a pick to a base.

Two bases-

Time of pitch, first play by an infielder.

Time of throw, second play by an infielder, any throw by an outfielder.

Remember it is important to know where the runners are when a throw is released.

We had that problem tonight. A runner went by second when the outfielder made an outstanding catch. He had to beat feet back to first and the ball was thrown out of play. I killed the ball and awarded third. My BU asked for me to come out, and said he was on his way back to first and should only get second. :wave: I said no he gets third, two bases from where he was TOT. After the game he says he thinks we smoked the award. He said the runner was on the other side of second when the ball was thrown. I said if that's true then he should have gotten home.

Posted

You would have been wrong then. He gets two bases from the time of the pitch since it is the first throw on the infield that went out of play. When the ball went into dead ball territory is irrelevant.

I agree only second base on that.


×
×
  • Create New...