Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5560 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I had time to burn going to my game last night so I took the scenic route and I passed 2 private ball fields. One I've worked at a few times is on the property of a construction/excavation company, the other is on a farm not too far away from the first. I've never worked there, but you can see it from the road.

It got me thinking I wonder how many private fields are out there.

  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

There is one in my neck of the woods as well....a contractor built a baseball and softball 2 field complex with a pavilion.......not real high end but well maintained...........2 traveling teams call these fields home......dont believe any use except by these 2 teams.............

Posted

The Cincinnati, Ohio area (Amelia-on the eastern outskirts of metro Cincy) has a program called Midland. They have an amazing complex. I took my Legion team there when I coached in 2004 and we were actually beating the home premier Midland team, the Redskins (they have an entire program) until we got rained out in the fourth before it was complete. The most amazing private baseball complex I have seen. The program is legendary with several Major League players playing in their program-most notably, Ken Griffey, Jr. and Barry Larkin. My ex-wife's brother played for them in '85 thru '87 ( with Griffey, Jr.) and said it was the best baseball program he ever played for, he is a former NCAA D1 and major leaguer with time in the Colorado, Houston and Cincinnati organizations as a player and a minor league coach/minor manager. So that says a lot, in my humble opinion

Link to their website: http://www.midlandre...rg/history.html

Trust me, the pictures on the website don't do justice to the true majesty of the facilities there. An amazing amateur baseball facility.

My two cents............

Posted

The Field of Dreams in Dyersville Iowa is a private field.

I actually know a lady that was born in that house.

Posted

The Cincinnati, Ohio area (Amelia-on the eastern outskirts of metro Cincy) has a program called Midland. They have an amazing complex. I took my Legion team there when I coached in 2004 and we were actually beating the home premier Midland team, the Redskins (they have an entire program) until we got rained out in the fourth before it was complete. The most amazing private baseball complex I have seen. The program is legendary with several Major League players playing in their program-most notably, Ken Griffey, Jr. and Barry Larkin. My ex-wife's brother played for them in '85 thru '87 ( with Griffey, Jr.) and said it was the best baseball program he ever played for, he is a former NCAA D1 and major leaguer with time in the Colorado, Houston and Cincinnati organizations as a player and a minor league coach/minor manager. So that says a lot, in my humble opinion

Link to their website: http://www.midlandre...rg/history.html

Trust me, the pictures on the website don't do justice to the true majesty of the facilities there. An amazing amateur baseball facility.

My two cents............

Majordave, are you from that area? My son played for Amelia and they had a couple of games there. Had a nice David and Goliath memory there in tournamants his senior year.

Posted

Majordave, are you from that area? My son played for Amelia and they had a couple of games there. Had a nice David and Goliath memory there in tournamants his senior year.

Not really Wek. I grew up in Lexington, KY. Moved around with Army then raised our kids in Danville, KY. I coached/managed/founded a Legion/Travel team from the Stanford/Danville area and we played there back in 2004. It took me a couple of years of trying to get scheduled to play in a tourney there. That 2004 team had several D-1 players on it and a ton of pitching and a couple of some drafted but not signed kids. It was fun. I kidded with them that if we kept winning like we were that I was changing our name from the Mustangs to the A$$kickers. What a laugh that would be to see on a jersey!

My ex-wife was born in Cincy and has a half-brother who was raised there. He was a phenom from the area-played/starred at Middle Tenn and was drafted and made it to "the Show" with the Colorado organization and then coached in the Cincinnati and Houston Organizations.

I bet you guys loved being there on that field like we did. That was my son's last summer playing baseball. He attended one semester at Mt. St. Joe that fall there in Cincy and played football ( I warned him that football was a formal religion in Ohio but he didn't believe me until he tried it.) He was supposed to play baseball for The Mount too and they play their home games at Midland but he decided to transfer to a bigger school and become a Fraternity Intramural "legend" (in his own mind-ha!). I love getting in the wayback machine.


×
×
  • Create New...