Speaking of the Gerry Davis Stance...

Umpete
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4586 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I think there is some confusion on what "locking-in" really means. I think some believe to be "locked in" one must "brace" or make stationary some part of your body (i.e. your arms your hands) in order not to move when assuming your plate stance. You do not have to physically brace yourself in some manor to become "locked-In". Locking in is all of the movements associated with producing a consistent and repeatable stance that allows the plate umpire to see every pitch the same way every time. The key words here are consistent and repeatable.This is a combination of head height, plate stance, distance from the catcher, and tracking of the baseball. what you do with your arms is just one part of the equation. I personally I tend to tuck my slot arm. But there are times where I will drop both of my arms near my thighs when I feel like I am more exposed due to the catcher working the outside corner leaving me vulnerable in the slot. The most important aspect of my lock is my legs. Regardless of what my hands or ams do my legs do the same thing every pitch which gives me a consistent lock. Like Ump_24 pointed bracing your arms as part of your lock helps to make your head height consistent but it also opens you up for possible injury. I will try to post pictures from different games that I have worked this year.....you will see that I have a consistent plate stance.

One of the reasons you use your arms as part of the lock is because with legs only you have a tendency to sink with fatigue. You feel like you are the same height but you are actually lower than at the beginning. I agree that you have to be careful with how you lock your arms. It can be very loose but it really does need to be part of the stance.

I think there is some confusion on what "locking-in" really means. I think some believe to be "locked in" one must "brace" or make stationary some part of your body (i.e. your arms your hands) in order not to move when assuming your plate stance. You do not have to physically brace yourself in some manor to become "locked-In". Locking in is all of the movements associated with producing a consistent and repeatable stance that allows the plate umpire to see every pitch the same way every time. The key words here are consistent and repeatable.This is a combination of head height, plate stance, distance from the catcher, and tracking of the baseball. what you do with your arms is just one part of the equation. I personally I tend to tuck my slot arm. But there are times where I will drop both of my arms near my thighs when I feel like I am more exposed due to the catcher working the outside corner leaving me vulnerable in the slot. The most important aspect of my lock is my legs. Regardless of what my hands or ams do my legs do the same thing every pitch which gives me a consistent lock. Like Ump_24 pointed bracing your arms as part of your lock helps to make your head height consistent but it also opens you up for possible injury. I will try to post pictures from different games that I have worked this year.....you will see that I have a consistent plate stance.

One of the reasons you use your arms as part of the lock is because with legs only you have a tendency to sink with fatigue. You feel like you are the same height but you are actually lower than at the beginning. I agree that you have to be careful with how you lock your arms. It can be very loose but it really does need to be part of the stance.

I don't use my arms to lock in. My legs do not get that fatigued either. I guess it is because I do 6 sets of 15 reps of squats with about 185 lbs. Then 10 set of 10 -12 reps of leg extensions starting at 200 lbs. Thats 1/2 of my leg workout. I would see one would get tired without working out. Also I am going on 2 years of working out! I have built up to the level I am at. Don't just jump in and try to do the same workout. Seek professional advice.

There is no wrong way, everyone have their version of how to do it. I teach to have some type of locking mechanism, that doesn't mean locking your hands on your knees. I suggest placing the hands on the side of your legs. That gives you the same height each time but allows a ball to take your arm with it instead of breaking it. Putting your hands behind you looks amateurish, dropping them straight down looks goofy. JMO

I couldn't say it better, myself, so I won't.

I don't use my arms to lock in. My legs do not get that fatigued either. I guess it is because I do 6 sets of 15 reps of squats with about 185 lbs. Then 10 set of 10 -12 reps of leg extensions starting at 200 lbs. Thats 1/2 of my leg workout. I would see one would get tired without working out. Also I am going on 2 years of working out! I have built up to the level I am at. Don't just jump in and try to do the same workout. Seek professional advice.

I am in my fifties, and I have a much less demanding workout regimen than yours (wait until you're 50, you'll be doing most of your exercises with rubber bands and a big inflatable ball ;)). But it is definitely my leg strength--and not my arms--that locks me in. I do some fairly light leg work (compared with yours), but I have some muscles left over from years of bicycling and a few years of boxing.

So, I guess what we're saying is this: if you don't have the leg strength to lock in, then you need to rest your arms on your knees to lock in. I would do that if I'm tired and the pitchers are throwing 80 and under. At bone-shattering speeds, I am never too leg weary to lock in with my hands hidden.

I am in my fifties, and I have a much less demanding workout regimen than yours (wait until you're 50, you'll be doing most of your exercises with rubber bands and a big inflatable ball ;)). But it is definitely my leg strength--and not my arms--that locks me in. I do some fairly light leg work (compared with yours), but I have some muscles left over from years of bicycling and a few years of boxing.

So, I guess what we're saying is this: if you don't have the leg strength to lock in, then you need to rest your arms on your knees to lock in. I would do that if I'm tired and the pitchers are throwing 80 and under. At bone-shattering speeds, I am never too leg weary to lock in with my hands hidden.

Whenever we discuss physical abilities when discussing mechanics used, I think we lose focus on what traditional training is trying to teach new umpires. I would imagine that JEAPU teaches to lock in with a physical mechanism to have all of their students become consistent in having a good strong base where head height doesn't begin to drift downward late in games for *MOST* umpires. I know there are pro school grads posting here that would probably tell us that the instructors at professional schools don't want to hear about how strong a particuar umpire is in his lower body. They want them to learn their way of doing it because it's been proven over time to be an effective mechanic. I think seasoned veterans like yourself should be subscribing to the "do as I say, not as I do" theory of plate stance mechanics, Kevin.

Tim.

I will be 50 on 2-20-2012. so I am 49. So are you saying work out like hell now because in 5 months it all goes downhill????? Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee

I will be 50 on 2-20-2012. so I am 49. So are you saying work out like hell now because in 5 months it all goes downhill????? Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee

That's funny!

No, you're doing a great job! Keep it up as long as you can, and leave the rubber bands to us on the next tier down.

Great job of staying young in the legs.

Thanks Kevin. Its been a hard and rough 2 years. But I am hanging with it. It sure has made a big difference in my physical abilities on the field!

That's funny!

No, you're doing a great job! Keep it up as long as you can, and leave the rubber bands to us on the next tier down.

Great job of staying young in the legs.

WOW :blah

I must be rapidly growing old, but last time I checked the only thing that matters is that you get the call right, and you have a consistent zone.

If you can do it standing on your head do it.

WOW :blah

I must be rapidly growing old, but last time I checked the only thing that matters is that you get the call right, and you have a consistent zone.

If you can do it standing on your head do it.

Dude you ROCK!!!! I can't stand on my head for 5 minutes much less a whole game!!! WOWnotworthy.gifheadbang.gif