wek29
Members-
Posts
74 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by wek29
-
I'm at work so it might take me a few to PM. Just saying I am interested. Funny timing given the post yesterday, hunh?
-
Thanks mstaylor and JaxRolo. As far as a mentor goes I'm afraid I may end up being that person. There are other umps there that have done this for a while, but they would be more of the type that I am trying not to become. I'm not trying to slam anyone there. There are some good people who put a lot of time in with little to no compensation, but there is a real need for some leadership. I am hoping to learn the right way and lead by example so as not to rock the boat. Make sense? I'll search Youtube and see what I can find. I'll look into that video, but is it as the title says and focused on bulks? If so, maybe some day, but I have a lot to work on before that. Thanks again!
-
So not to hijack the thread, but are there any good videos on the internet for instruction? Long story short, our organization does not provide much training at all. I want to stay there because it's where a lot of kids are learning the game and they deserve better. So it's up to me to do this on my own. At some point I'll have saved up enough to invest in either videos/books or actual instruction but until then is there anything worthwhile on the web?
-
If it's just 1 beer...which hand do you hold it in? And do you verbalize the count? :cheers:
-
I must say this is one BIG reason why I enjoy this forum so much. On how many other sites would you see this?
-
So in our league, whenever a player slides into a base - either stolen or going back on a pick off, all the players are taught to call time immediately. Or if it's 1st or 3rd the coach will. Assuming there is no other action, do you give it? From what I am reading here my guess is if I have to adjust the base back, or maybe the player slid in hard and needs to brush off you'd give. What about other times? Let's say pick off at 1st. Base doesn't move, runner is safe and the ball has been thrown back to the pitcher. Do you grant time? Our league does, but I've wondered if that's what we should be doing. No reason for it that I can think of.
-
My gut instinct was the PU didn't see the pitcher step off and then when I brought it up just said he knew it. For whatever reason, he didn't want to come to me when it happened.
-
I was BU at a game the other night and had this happen. R3, I am in C. For some reason the pitcher set up like he's going to throw from the windup. The base coach sends the runner too soon as the pitcher had not begun his windup. Right handed pitcher steps off with his right foot and throws home. I assume the batter doesn't realize the pitcher stepped off and takes a swing at it. The catcher moves up to make the play, I don't know if he knew the pitcher stepped off, and gets nailed in the arm by the batter. What's your call? Plate umpire called Catcher interference, let the run score and sent the batter to 1st. He said he knew the pitcher setpped off, but not why he didn't think that was important.
-
I honestly don't know if our league allows us to dump the coach for fan behavior. We can dump the fan however. This is funny though because I told a coach once to let his parents know they were getting out of hand and he told them I was going to dump him if they didn't back down...I didn't feel the need to correct him. Note - I was letting him know because I feel it's a smoother approach than calling out the fans myself. I know the coach can't always control the situation so I will go directly to the fan(s) as needed.
-
Thanks guys! I saw it on the links from here and thought it looked ok to start with. Really excited about the CP! I'll let you know how it is when I get it.
-
I thought it matched my price range well. Looks like a good CP, other pieces look to be catcher gear, but shouldn't matter. Thoughts? I think I did pretty well...don't hold back. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320552613654&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI
-
So, I am starting to looking at Chest protectors and I have a question on fit. I am a short fat guy - call it like it is! 5'8" 235. So I am wondering how these should fit? Where should I measure to in front to make sure I am protected? I really don't wanna take one to the gut and some of these protectors look like I'd have a lot hanging out!
-
Looks like a good deal on the Platinum CP's...now, will that size fit a short fat guy???
-
Thanks UIC! That gives this story a very cool twist. I'm going to forward the story to my friend.
-
So a friend is at the Reds business man's special today (day game) and sent me this: Apparently 2 guys wore their umpire garb, masks and all to the game. They got seats right behind the plate and were making all the calls! I wish I could have been there!
-
LOL, I guess it depends on who you ask!
-
Thanks 24sdad - I went to the site semper fi 72 posted and needless to say I bookmarked it. Very good info. Just as I expected we are not doing it that way. They have us inside the base paths instead of outside.
-
semper fi 72 - Thanks I'll check it out now. mstaylor - I appreciate it. PM sent.
-
So, if as a newbie I can ask a newbie question...and yes I did search, but probably under the wrong heading. Is there anything on the site that goes over basic positioning? I have a feeling the training we got is going to be in conflict based on what I am reading. (I will look into the books mentioned, just looking for info in the meantime.)
-
Ok, forgive me in advance for this, but someone mentioned batter crouching. I had a game where the batters on one team knew the opposing picher was having a rough time. Several of them would have an exagerated crough trying to make the strike zone smaller. (Not sure if the coach put them up to this, but would not surprise me.) I just called the strike zone based on what I saw when they were standing which ticked off some parents when a strike would be in the batter's face. What do you do?
-
Wow, I came back expecting a response or 2! What an overwhelming welcome! Thank you very much everyone!
-
Hi everyone! I stumbled on this site trying to do some research on gear - still researching. I guess newbie isn't quite appropriate as it's my 2nd year of knothole, but I still feel new! After years of coaching and cheering my sons, they've both grown and moved on I still wanted to be around the game. I felt it may be a little odd for me to try to coach more, but I love the game so umping was the logical choice. I am possibly interesting in moving up from knothole, but have no issues staying there. I figure they can use all the good umps they can get. I have a couple of goals. 1- I'd like to find some classes to improve my "game". The knothole association gives a 2 day class to learn the rules, but very little is done outside of that. So very little positioning and no kind of feedback. I want to take it to the next level even if I have to do it on my own. 2- Not egotistical, but I want to get my own gear and look more the part of a "professional" umpire. (Not major league, but someone who has a professional appearance.) I think it will garner more respect to begin with. I want coaches to know when they get me for a game they are going to get a game well called. So that's it in a nutshell. I'll be trolling the boards and adding questions as they come. Any tips ona good package or if you see some good used gear, I'd love to hear about it!
