Jump to content

semper_fi_72

Inactive
  • Posts

    1,686
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    22

Everything posted by semper_fi_72

  1. Glad to hear I am not the only one that did it because my partner did not wipe it off and my mind just called it without the wipe off. :givebeer:
  2. +1 DDB See page 36 (Table) NFHS 2011 Rule.
  3. Some contact is part of baseball. Any contact is a HTBT situation. You have to judge what occurred and apply the applicable rule as necessary. Int, Obs, Malicious Contact, Train Wreck. We have the rules of the game and we have to "Just Umpire" the game sometimes based on what occurs in front of us. That's why we (UMPIRES) use our judgment and make judgement calls.
  4. Hey Rich Glad your here.
  5. It is called being APPROACHABLE. Your partner failed in being approachable.
  6. The "Request for Time" by the OC was not granted by the PU. Remember they request Time we Grant Time. That is what you tell the DC. Coach there was a Request for time but I did not Grant time. It did not cause a Balk. Regardless of his intention. There is no ejection and the play stands.
  7. Did the defense make a play on R1 or did the defense also start to come off the field thinking the game was over? You should be able to tell by the action of the defense what is going to happen. If I don't see the defense doing anything and unless the defense stops me and makes an appeal before I leave the field it is a ball game.
  8. I don't know about elsewhere but we check hats and bats before games, even before the new regulations. For those that do not think it is their job, Please read 10-2-3.a Rich that's the difference between Internet Umpires and Umpires. Someone who thinks managers/coaches are rats are not approachable umpires and want to do as little as necessary, get their check and go home. They want the power and authority but not the responsibility. We have been checking the bats and helmets for years, but to check the bats against the list of approved ones would take forever. Let the coaches state at the plate meeting that all their bats are legal. Then, if there is a problem, they must prove the bat is legal or out it goes. It does not take forever. I have worked 4 games this year already. Each team had at least 3 BESR bats and the approve list. They knew exactly what to expect and were ready when I came to check equipment. It has taken no longer then it has before the new regulations and after seeing certain bats over and over I know certain ones are on the approved list without even checking it. 10-2-3a does not say it is the HCs duty, it is the Umpires duty. You are legally liable and failing to follow the rule book if you do not check equipment.
  9. I don't know about elsewhere but we check hats and bats before games, even before the new regulations. For those that do not think it is their job, Please read 10-2-3.a Rich that's the difference between Internet Umpires and Umpires. Someone who thinks managers/coaches are rats are not approachable umpires and want to do as little as necessary, get their check and go home. They want the power and authority but not the responsibility.
  10. Chris IBUA says Red or Navy Undershirt is good with Navy Polo. I have both so if we ever work together wearing Navy Polo I now know we are wearing Navy Unders......:notworthy:
  11. Case Book Page 63 8.1.1 Situation D When may a batter be hit by a pitch and not be awarded first base? a. When the pitch is a strike. b. when the batter does not attempt to avoid being hit (Umpire Judgment. You just have to Umpire) c. with no runners on base, the pitch is illegal and is not ball four d. when the batter attempts to hit the pitch Yes, I've read the case book. In the case book (8.1.1 D, Ruling B) it mentions "batter does not attempt to avoid being hit." And, yes, it is umpire judment. However, in 2 different places in the rule book (8-1-1-d-1 and 7-3-4) the language is different and changes to "permit a pitch to touch him." The Fed made it a point to print information about this in the 2011 Pre-Season Guide. Why did they think the language from the past was conflicting and "caused confusion among umpires, teams, and players?" I still maintain that they are saying the same thing: th Permiting a pitch to touch him and failing to get out of the way is pretty much e same, isn't it? It is the same in my interpretation. I think your reading to much into the rule.
  12. Case Book Page 63 8.1.1 Situation D When may a batter be hit by a pitch and not be awarded first base? a. When the pitch is a strike. b. when the batter does not attempt to avoid being hit (Umpire Judgment. You just have to Umpire) c. with no runners on base, the pitch is illegal and is not ball four d. when the batter attempts to hit the pitch
  13. We have year round baseball here in Southern California. HS has regular season, Legion and Fall Ball. HS Regular season pays $72 a game at all levels. Legion and Fall Ball are $50 to $60 usually 1 man. Youth Ball is anywhere from $25 - $46 a game. Travel Ball Tournaments almost every weekend of the year held. Adult Leagues are $50 to $72. I work Youth (LL, PONY, Travel Ball), HS and Adult. In 2010 I worked 302 Games. Travel Ball Tournaments are held almost every weekend of the year, yet you only get assignments every two to three weeks because of the number of Umpires in the Association. Seriously reconsider relocating anywhere to make a living Umpiring. Even with baseball being 12 months a year here in Southern California, you are not going to make a living solely Umpiring. In fact, if that is your only income you will be homeless, car less (Registration, Insurance, Gas, Maintenance), hungry and thirsty. It is a great way to supplement a pension but you will not make a living doing it. Not here in Southern California. There also is no shortage of Umpires and schools are cutting budgets. You may find it difficult to get into some Associations to even get games outside of Little League. I am lucky to be able to supplement a pension with it, but it was still real tough in February when everything was rained out for weeks. Wish you the best of luck.
  14. You have learned what not to do to your partner. So you have learned something Grasshopper :cheers:
  15. What do you think they do with the balance on the books? Throw a party. It is a business. It doesn't matter if it is a for profit or non-profit, both operate to make money. It is what they do with the money that is a difference. Like grants to improve or build fields. They are held accountable for where the money goes as a non-profit organization. I never hear coaches or snack bar workers complain about not getting paid enough. If you truly want to umpire for money and perks, keep working your way up as the door gets narrower to each progressive level. Umpiring Youth Baseball is not a career and should not be though of as such. Getting a shirt with some logo on it that I can not wear any where else is not a useful item to me nor the reason I umpire. If I do have a issue with the compensation for working any level ball, I just don't do it. Bitching about what they pay and give out will not change anything.
  16. If a batter steeped out of the box with one foot to hit the ball, what would you call? When you answer that, you will also answer when he is in or out of the box.
  17. California (CIF) has directed that HC must have list with CIF logo on it. Any other document is worthless.
  18. Who really care what either gives to Umpire when the work the WS. Umpires should not be doing it because they will get some goodie bag. They should be umpiring because they worked to get there, where invited and want to do it.
  19. HS game yesterday. Both teams had bats that were not BBCOR certified. When asked for approved list both coaches pulled out the list and helped me quickly identify the bats on the approved list. Piece of cake.
  20. Another fine example of what not to do and of a umpire being in over his head and possibly abilities.
  21. I am pretty sure they were put there for a reason, especially since most masks have them. Like to protect the top of your head, which in most cases is higher that your forehead. Why not cut off the bars on the side that protect the side of your head and ears!!!!!!! As others have said, keep your head out of the catchers mitt and you will never be hit by a foul tip.
  22. Starter Get them from Target for $10. No Cup Pocket but since I wear a Nutty Buddy with a jock strap that does not matter to me.
  23. Double Post Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  24. Yes, but he was counting all the rain-out days into the same month. Stop saying RAIN Lost a HS Scrimmage already this coming Saturday and my Sunday Adult League will probably be rained out again. I don't want to be a greeter at WalMart !!!!!!! :rolleyes:
  25. Get it right, it is 12 months a year..... Rain last weekend and forecast this coming weekend really sucks If this coming weekend gets rained out I will have lost 12 games, over two weekends, rain is getting very expensive Magic, don't be shy, certainly hope your not shy on the field. I am in Riverside, just up the 91 Fwy from you.
×
×
  • Create New...