D3K

Guest Carl
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2203 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Carl

Does anyone have any advice on how to teach 10 year-olds the D3K rule?  I understand it but trying to convey it to my team has been an exercise in futility.  Maybe they just have to learn by experience?  After a few plays they'll start to get the hang of it?

6 answers to this question

"Reps" is right. But to drill it in perhaps quicker than they'd otherwise see in real games, have them "see" the various situations as part of your practice. On the field, place runners (or keep the bases clear), simulate a pitch and swinging miss, and ask, "Can the batter run?" Repeat.

No one on, outs immaterial.

R1, <2 outs or 2 outs.

R2/R3/R2&R3/R1&R3, < 2 outs or 2 outs.

End each practice with a quick refresher, perhaps of only one situation at a time.

Tell them that the purpose of the rule is to prevent a catcher from getting an easy extra out on a strikeout by simply failing to catch the ball, then throwing to a base for a force out, then to first for the putout of the batter-runner who just struck out.  The rule is always in effect except when a cheap double play is possible.

Similar reason for the infield fly rule.  Both rules protect the offense.

• Like 2

And just teach your catchers to jump up an tag the Batter on anything close to an uncaught third strike. That will save all of us a lot of grief

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Like @MooseLoop says - teach them why the rule exists.

I had the same challenge you had, and solved it by doing exactly that.   Once they understand why it exists, then it's easy to remember the rule, and when it does and doesn't apply.   Works with adults too.  Almost immediately the "but there were runners on second and third so it's an IFF" statements stop.

In community ball as young as ten I put aside at least 30 minutes for "chalk talk" for stuff exactly like this - the kids eat it up.  Then, in practice, controlled situational play to see what they do and don't recognize.  It doesn't take long...like...the course of a single evening practice.

When I got into coaching club teams, during winter training there were one or two one hour sessions per week that were nothing but situational discussions.  Amazing how into it the kids get.