Forfeit

guyinaredhat
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3677 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I worked a tourney this weekend.  Not particularly good games,or good ball.   My last game of a long 3 day weekend was a championship game on the small diamond.  Top of 3rd inning the pitcher records a quick out and the VT head coach immediately wants time and is approaching me with his smart phone out , trying to show me that the  starting pitcher has gone 1 out over his limit. ( pitch records are recorded online for  Rat like quick access for the ....)

I simply tell him "I have nothing to do with pitching regulations , and that his only option was to log a protest with the tournament directors.  It would be  $100, and the TD's would rule.  I asked if he was sure this is what he wanted to do .   He told me yes.  

Long story short the tournament directors uphold the protest and the game was declared over and that's when  ish hits the fan.    Parents from the losing team are booing and throwing out cusses and insults . Coaches in each others faces, jawing at each other,  security is called and we are the first championship game crew off the field. Weird way to end a weekend.   It was my 2nd time seeing a upheld foreit because a coach used a illegal player/pitcher.    

Rules are rules I guess, not much the TD can do... Still a crappy way for a rat to end a tournament.

You saying the rule shouldn't be enforced?

The offending team should have known better.

Rules are rules I guess, not much the TD can do... Still a crappy way for a rat to end a tournament.

No I'm saying it has to be. It's unfortunate to end it like that, but the team should have known better.

mjr,

Which one? The one who violated the pitching limits, or the one who called him on it.

I could see a valid argument either way.

Which would you find more persuasive?

JM

where do you find this line of questioning to mjr's post? :shrug:  He didn't say, OR insinuate that at all....

where do you find this line of questioning to mjr's post? :shrug:  He didn't say, OR insinuate that at all....

because @mjr_2013 does not know what he is talking about. He needs to find a new sport to officiate!!!

• Like 1

mjr,

Which one? The one who violated the pitching limits, or the one who called him on it.

JM

you don't get to choose which rules you enforce we as umpires should know this better than anyone....is it a d!ck move by the opposing coach ya probably.... but in the end it doesn't matter a rule is a rule and the onus of responsibility is on the coaches to make sure that their team abides by ALL the rules

mjr,

JM

I see what you're saying, and it's interesting... I think it's fair to assume that the coach who violated them didn't do it intentionally. Is the one or two extra outs really worth the risk of the forfeit? In hindsight, obviously not. And it's not like he would have gotten away with that for the entire game, someone eventually would have said "Hey, that kid's been in there for a while"

It would have been much classier and respectable had the coach (the one who protested) who obviously knew on the prior batter that this was the pitcher's last batter to say something before it became a protest and let the kids decide the champion on the field. I'm thinking of the whole "protests should be avoided whenever possible line" from the LL rulebook guidelines on pitch counts. But that is just a suggestion or wish, pitch rules are rules.