Catcher's OBS

maineump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2924 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Had a play last night in D-3 game.

R2 & R3, 0 outs. Batter hits a fly ball to right field, catcher's obstruction called because of contact with the glove. Ball is caught, R3 tags and scores. R-2 tags on throw to plate.

We give the option to the O, they elect to take results of the play. After the ball is made live, the Def appeals the tag at 3B. BTW - he was OK.

We discussed it after and had never thought of this before, but if R3 is deemed out, and the offense took the results of the play, resulting in the second out and no run scoring - we would now have R3 and 2 outs - 0 runs. We know why he took the results of the play, but we were wondering if others would explain the possibilities in lower levels? College are on their own in our opinions, as they should know the rules :) .

How in depth do you go in explaining the C OBS and possible scenerios? We would obviously have a s#$t storm if we called the out on the appeal.

3 minutes ago, maineump said:

R2 & R3, 0 outs. Batter hits a fly ball to right field, catcher's obstruction called because of contact with the glove. Ball is caught, R3 tags and scores. R-2 tags on throw to plate.

We give the option to the O, they elect to take results of the play. After the ball is made live, the Def appeals the tag at 3B. BTW - he was OK.

We discussed it after and had never thought of this before, but if R3 is deemed out, and the offense took the results of the play, resulting in the second out and no run scoring - we would now have R3 and 2 outs - 0 runs. We know why he took the results of the play, but we were wondering if others would explain the possibilities in lower levels? College are on their own in our opinions, as they should know the rules :) .

How in depth do you go in explaining the C OBS and possible scenerios? We would obviously have a s#$t storm if we called the out on the appeal.

They get to choose based on what is in front of them at the time. You cannot mention potential appeals, because that would sway the balance. Yes, there may be a SH*# sandwich after, but it's their own fault for not realizing their runner left early. In fact, I don't agree with telling them anything about the play. Lower levels, I get the logic of asking if they want the play or the penalty, and then answering any questions they have. However, no pertinent information should be given unsolicited.

Also, keep this in mind...if an umpire were to volunteer information, what happens when something is omitted? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, maineump said:

R2 & R3, 0 outs. Batter hits a fly ball to right field, catcher's obstruction called because of contact with the glove.

assuming "D-3" means college (and not HS), then it wasn't CO.  ;) 

(yes, it's overly pedantic)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, scrounge said:

I agree with Matt....a simple "coach, would you like the play or batter on first and runners return?". Done. Part of 'the play' is any possible appeals. Choose wisely.

I, too, agree with Matt.

I phrase the options the way football referees give coaches their options: give them the outcomes, not "play or penalty." "You can have the run score, batter out, and a runner on third with one out, or you can have bases loaded, no runs, with no outs." It's usually easier to choose among the options when they're described that way.

At all amateur levels below college, we should present the options in this fashion. OBR requires the "manager" to ask for the play, but that mechanic should be used in pro ball, which is what it was designed for.

I asked Jim Evans this and he said that if they take the play and the defense appeals, c'est la vie. They took the play, now the defense gets the results of the appeal. Can't go back and take the CI.

Thanks guys - that is what we came up with as well. We didn't offer them any information, just - take the play or take the interference - up to them to figure out what they could do with it.

I like the idea of younger ages of explaining to the coach their options.