Intentional Drop

Question

In USA softball the fielder has to first catch the ball and then drop it for it to be ruled an intentional drop.

‘Is it the same in baseball?

For example, if the fielder  allows the pop fly to bounce off his arm, or the back of his glove, is it still considered a drop?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Yes. An intentional drop requires a touch. In fact, it's not an intentional drop if it's caught first, because the drop would indicate voluntary release and thus a completed catch.

A second is a really long time..."That's a catch!"   No different than any other situation where it's close/uncertain to whether or not the fielder made the catch...come up loud and proud on the call.

4 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, MT73 said:

In USA softball the fielder has to first catch the ball and then drop it for it to be ruled an intentional drop.

For example, if the fielder  allows the pop fly to bounce off his arm, or the back of his glove, is it still considered a drop?

Yes. An intentional drop requires a touch.

In fact, it's not an intentional drop if it's caught first, because the drop would indicate voluntary release and thus a completed catch.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, MT73 said:

More accurately, he has to "touch" it and then allow it to drop...if he were to catch it then it would be, well, a catch.   And that's true in softball too.

I have seen players glove the ball and then immediately drop it on purpose to get a double play.

‘Though only in the glove for a second before being dropped I called the batter out for the intentional drop.

‘My question is this—-suppose the fielder allows the pop up to hit his chest and then pick it up from the ground.

‘Does this qualify as a touch?

1 hour ago, MT73 said:

I have seen players glove the ball and then immediately drop it on purpose to get a double play.

‘Though only in the glove for a second before being dropped I called the batter out for the intentional drop.

A second is a really long time..."That's a catch!"   No different than any other situation where it's close/uncertain to whether or not the fielder made the catch...come up loud and proud on the call.

Having said that, you are meeting the "spirit" of the rule in this approach, but you want to be careful...if he catches the ball, holds it for a couple of seconds, and then intentionally drops it in some half-assed attempt to get the runners to go you may be overstepping if you kill the play.  The rule applies only to intentionally dropping a batted ball...a caught ball is no longer a batted ball.

1 hour ago, MT73 said:

‘My question is this—-suppose the fielder allows the pop up to hit his chest and then pick it up from the ground.

‘Does this qualify as a touch?

Yes...the only way around this rule is to literally not touch the ball at all.  Any other touch of the batted ball, in an attempt to intentionally not catch it, results in a dead ball...provided under two out, and at least R1.

Any form of touching the ball to intentionally drop it is seen as some way of controlling the ball (even off chest - soccer players do this all the time) - the theory is if you let the ball fall untouched it's higher risk....you're not controlling it until after it hits the ground....and when it hits the ground anything could happen.

Don't get caught up on the vernacular - just like on third strikes dropped and uncaught are interchangeable.

• Thanks 1
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.