Relief pitcher not beckoned

eagle_12
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2220 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

When is a relief pitcher in the game?  Manager goes to mound, bullpen beyond the fence.  D team has another player positioned near the field entrance and tells the “relief” pitcher to come. 

Manager never beckons for him, BU never beckons for him, he came on his own. If it matters, ran from LF corner to third base in Foul territory, then came in at third base. 

Manager wasn’t going to replace originally but went with it. Was he required then to use him?  I know the returning pitcher, start of an inning rule. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/31/2018 at 9:32 PM, eagle_12 said:

When is a relief pitcher in the game?  Manager goes to mound, bullpen beyond the fence.  D team has another player positioned near the field entrance and tells the “relief” pitcher to come. 

Manager never beckons for him, BU never beckons for him, he came on his own. If it matters, ran from LF corner to third base in Foul territory, then came in at third base. 

Manager wasn’t going to replace originally but went with it. Was he required then to use him?  I know the returning pitcher, start of an inning rule. 

Do you know there was no signal from anywhere? Maybe it was pre-arranged. 

5 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Do you know there was no signal from anywhere? Maybe it was pre-arranged. 

F4/6 told my partner coach didn’t call for him, but went with the relief pitcher anyways. Miscommunication of intentions, or the signal relay man in the bullpen decided it was his time. 

5 hours ago, eagle_12 said:

F4/6 told my partner coach didn’t call for him, but went with the relief pitcher anyways. Miscommunication of intentions, or the signal relay man in the bullpen decided it was his time. 

Let's try this again. (Just because the IF didn't see a signal either doesn't mean there wasn't one)

The instructions on the call to get the reliever warming up or to the relay man  may have included "If I come out send him in"

6 hours ago, eagle_12 said:

It sounds like you were PU. Once I saw a RP jogging in I would have left a couple of balls at the plate and approached the Manager with my lineup card to confirm what he was doing. NCAA actually added the requirement to have confirmation by a coach before announcing back in 2013. Did you just stand there and watch? 

I was 1BU.  Was asked the question by 3BU following game. From what was relayed by my partner from F4/6, they didn’t call for him, there was no secret sign, nothing like that, no predetermined event. I think it was a “hey how ya doing” trip with a re-evaluate out there depending on response. When the reliever got there is it was a “what are you doing here, oh well you’re here we’ll use ya” moment  

Thats is why the important question in the OP was asked about when is he required to use him. The manager was caught off guard by reliever’s being at the mound. The part that matters is he required to use him if he comes to the mound.

What if manager says I’m sticking with my guy, what do we have? Which, according to MidAm is if/when he starts throwing, or if the manager reported the sub and recorded before hand. I’m satisfied that I’ve got an acceptable rule cite.