Fair/Foul

Guest Fan in Stands
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2586 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Fan in Stands

Changing Foul call to Fair. 

Saw this play last night at a local Little League game.  Ball popped up between pitcher and catcher, hits ground and possibly touched the catcher then rolled foul, plate umpire called it foul thinking it didnt touch any fielder.  All the fans and coaches saying the ball was touched by the catcher.  The plate umpire gets with his partner on the bases and his partner says it did touch the catcher. The plate umpire changed his call to fair and gave the batter first base. Can they change that call from foul to fair and award the batter first base?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Yes.

If the plate umpire was unsure he can ask his partner if he had a better angle on it or was able to see a deflection or anything that he himself may not have seen. If his partner tells him that he did and he saw the ball touched by the catcher prior to going into foul territory, then he may change his call.

NOTE: It is the solely the plate umpires call and decision whether to ask for help. 

9 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

True in FED, but not in LL. See the other responses.

Didn't know that. Granted I don't do many games that follow LL rules. I was always taught if I called it foul, it's foul and we have to move on.