Coming Up Loud and Big

Stk004
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2599 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

17 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

I still think Armbrister had his foot out of the box when he made contact with the ball. :)

His right foot, behind the plate?

(this is the closest frame I could get to the point of contact with the bat... The ball, although impossible to see, has already made contact and is one the way to the ground.. probably about 3/4ths of the way there.

IMG_0695.PNG

1 hour ago, Radie said:

His right foot, behind the plate?

(this is the closest frame I could get to the point of contact with the bat... The ball, although impossible to see, has already made contact and is one the way to the ground.. probably about 3/4ths of the way there.

Keep in mind that there are six inches of space between the outside line of the batter's box and the plate - not difficult to have your foot completely outside the batter's box and not be "behind" the plate, especially in a bunting position with your feet pointing at the pitcher.

In your frame the ball has actually hit the ground just in front of the plate, and is on its way up - the dirt on the right half of the plate is a result of that.  Doesn't really matter on the timing - his foot was in that same space well before and after he made contact with the ball.

Also - later in the video, at 2:34/2:35, you get a better view.

He might still be touching a piece of the box area, but it's close.

6 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

And PU is tracking a ball, not looking down at the batter's feet...close = he's fine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Also - later in the video, at 2:34/2:35, you get a better view.

I think this is what you are talking about... I did the old "Zoom and Enhance" thing of it in the pic posted.

I don't think his foot is out.. definitely not completely... MAYBE if you say his heel is off the dirt and his toes are completely out, but even that is a stretch..

Either way, I'm not making that call.

IMG_0705.JPG

12 hours ago, Richvee said:

And PU is tracking a ball, not looking down at the batter's feet...close = he's fine.

I agree.    If they're watching what they're supposed to be watching they should only be noticing the really really egregious infractions...and they'll even miss a lot of those.  It's gotta be the hardest call in ball to make.

• Like 2