Uncaught 3rd Strike

CougarUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3111 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Uncaught 3rd strike,   BR is in the proper lane running to 1st.   F2 does not clear the runner when throwing to F3 and hits BR in the back.    F3 is attempting to catch the throw and is between BR and the base.   BR runs over F3.     I had BR safe.  

But my question is:  Can F3 be in the baseline without the ball or is it obstruction? 

Depends on the rules set and exaclty what happened.

In OBR, the fielder is allowed to be there if he is in the act of fielding the ball.  NCAA is similar.

In FED, he's not allowed to be there and "completely deny access to the base" until he has the ball, but just "being there" isn't a problem unless / until the runner is hindered.  And, even if it is OBS, you're probably just awarding the BR first, and that's where he ended up.

Edited by noumpere

You didn't ask this question, but the other thing to watch here is MC. Many runners mistakenly believe that they are "entitled to the baseline" in such a way that they may truck anyone who is "in their way."

Another possibility on this type of play is INT for failing to try to avoid a fielder who is making a play. This rule is in FED and is added to most amateur codes built on OBR. Look for whether the throw moves the fielder's feet: if he's stationary and there is contact, it's probably on the runner; gross contact should be ruled MC.

I bring this up because, even if you were to rule that F3 obstructed the BR (say, in a FED game), MC, but not INT, supersedes OBS by rule.

• Like 1

You didn't ask this question, but the other thing to watch here is MC. Many runners mistakenly believe that they are "entitled to the baseline" in such a way that they may truck anyone who is "in their way."

Another possibility on this type of play is INT for failing to try to avoid a fielder who is making a play. This rule is in FED and is added to most amateur codes built on OBR. Look for whether the throw moves the fielder's feet: if he's stationary and there is contact, it's probably on the runner; gross contact should be ruled MC.

I bring this up because, even if you were to rule that F3 obstructed the BR (say, in a FED game), MC, but not INT, supersedes OBS by rule.

Only on a batted ball in OBR at least.

• 2 weeks later...