Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4090 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Nothing looks worse than an umpire who stands up and calls ball.  It looks like you're going to call a strike and are being indecisive.  Or a steeball. Glad you are doing that now.

Bingo. 

  • Like 1
Posted

The two on strike two seem to be a big thing now.  Don't know why?  It wasn't taught at the BBUC when I went.  Never heard anybody teach it, but I know who evaluated you and he does it.

I make it a practice to call it ball on all balls.  Can't believe nobody has never told you to stay down on your balls.  Nothing looks worse than an umpire who stands up and calls ball.  It looks like you're going to call a strike and are being indecisive.  Or a steeball. Glad you are doing that now.

I was watching the CDP feed yesterday and the umpire had just about the worst timing I have ever seen, including standing up on ball calls.  He was usually already on his way to standing before the pitch even hit the catcher's mitt.  Ugh.

  • Like 1
Posted

I was watching the CDP feed yesterday and the umpire had just about the worst timing I have ever seen, including standing up on ball calls.  He was usually already on his way to standing before the pitch even hit the catcher's mitt.  Ugh.

What is CDP?

Posted

I've had a run of new to me partners lately. Almost all of them, save one, is too damn fast with their plate calls. And bases too for that matter. I've mentioned it in post game. Also suggested Jason's clinic.

Most of them aren't young or new and work HS but haven't had a lot of formal training. Nothing as intense and immersive as Mid-American clinic.  And they do the verbal while coming up out of the stance. As the catcher is receiving the pitch. Then they make the hammer or point signal. I don't even bother suggesting a fix for that. I just model what I've been taught over the years.  

I also got to work again with a guy I worked with two summers ago. He told me then he wanted to work college. I hooked him up with our KC 3 man camp affiliated with Jason's clinic and our local college association. He's good now. Wasn't bad then   He told me his strike three was modeled after mine. He liked it the best when he started working with college guys. I told him it's my patented "stick it in then break it off" mechanic. That's what a pitcher who's team's games I'd worked a few times called it. 

Hahaha. 

×
×
  • Create New...