NFHS warm-up throws

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3282 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest sportsoff

Between innings as the pitcher is getting his 5 pitches or 1 min. the back-up catcher, in full gear, squats in foul territory and takes throws from the SS in full wind-up,

also during def conference, as coach walks to the mound, the back-up catcher runs down LF line and does the same thing, receives pitches from the SS who throws from his def. position.

Legal/Illegal? Do we have rules to support either way, I can't find any.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

FED:

SITUATION 11: As the head coach moves to the pitching mound for a defensive conference, he tosses a baseball to his third baseman and has him take warm-up throws with another player to get ready to pitch. RULING: A team cannot have a fielder, in the game, throw a baseball for the purpose of warming up as a pitcher, during a defensive conference or a pitching change. If a team desires to warm up a player in the game to prepare him to pitch, it would need to take him out of the game to warm up and then later re-enter him under the substitution rule. (3-4-1)

I believe - between innings it is OK, I think we can stop it for the def conf.

We generally don't let the infield/outfield have a ball, unless there is new position player in the game, so why would we let them throw the ball on a conference?

I don't know of any rules that stop it though -

FED:

SITUATION 11: As the head coach moves to the pitching mound for a defensive conference, he tosses a baseball to his third baseman and has him take warm-up throws with another player to get ready to pitch. RULING: A team cannot have a fielder, in the game, throw a baseball for the purpose of warming up as a pitcher, during a defensive conference or a pitching change. If a team desires to warm up a player in the game to prepare him to pitch, it would need to take him out of the game to warm up and then later re-enter him under the substitution rule. (3-4-1)

​Thanks for the situation quote, as I didn't remember that was there. What rule is it under?