What's your interp?

ALStripes17
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3350 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

It's a valid contradiction. 

"With no runners on base, F1 starts his windup or preliminary motion and the ball slips from his hand."

It also gives us our answer to the nit picking OM who wants a ball called when F1 stops is windup with no runners on. 

OM- "Hey Blue, that's an illegal pitch, he stopped his motion after starting. That's a ball!"

Me- "No coach. The ball slipped from his hand a little. So no infraction" 

No offense but this is really silly!

Silly as it may sound 6.1.2 Sit A  is a silly contradiction to rule 6.1.2 .... "After he starts his movement to pitch, he must continue the motion without interruption or alteration. " 

PENALTY (Art. 1, 2, 3): The ball is dead immediately when an illegal pitch occurs.

Last I checked dropping the ball, or the ball slipping in F1's glove after he starts his delivery is going to "interrupt or alter" his delivery. 

According to 6.1.2 That should be an illegal pitch. 

A smart coach should then teach his pitchers, If they start their windup with the bases empty and they don't feel comfortable, just drop the ball, and then you can stop legally. Because if you just stop and hold the ball, it's going to be called an illegal pitch and a  ball. .........Now THAT"S silly. 

• Like 1

And if the dropped/delivered ball were to roll down the hill and across the foul line, it would be ruled what?

And if the dropped/delivered ball were to roll down the hill and be picked up while still moving before crossing the foul line, it would be ruled what?

A smart coach should then teach his pitchers,

I think a smart coach wouldn't confuse his players w/ such nonsense. A smart coach would expect a smart umpire to allow everybody to reset and start over. We all know that some of our beloved brethren would balk it.

My posts on this subject are more than 1/2 tongue-in-cheek trying to point out the ridiculousness of this FED interp and the corresponding confusing/contradicting  case plays.

I'm firmly in the reset/start again camp.  

A smart coach should then teach his pitchers,

I think a smart coach wouldn't confuse his players w/ such nonsense. A smart coach would expect a smart umpire to allow everybody to reset and start over. We all know that some of our beloved brethren would balk it.

My posts on this subject are more than 1/2 tongue-in-cheek trying to point out the ridiculousness of this FED interp and the corresponding confusing/contradicting  case plays.

I'm firmly in the reset/start again camp.

Gotcha!!!     :hi5: