Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4877 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

15U Babe Ruth (OBR Mod.) game this past Saturday.  I'm BU.

Pre-Ejection:  VT F1 (#5) gave up 6 runs (we have a 6-run/inning limit local rule) in bot 3, and after the inning ended, he spiked the ball into the ground.  His manager called him over over, and scolded him.  I thought that'd be the end of F1's issues:  the kid was pissed at himself, and he let it go.

Bot 4, #5 is now at F6, and after the first batter doubles down the line, F6 angrily mumbles "Mother f...er" for no real reason.  I say to him, "Chill out, #5.  You spiked the ball earlier, now you're cursing for no reason; chill out."  F6 responds, "You're right; I'm sorry.  Sorry."  His apology seemed sincere.  I did not eject because the language was not loud enough for anyone else to hear, and when it comes to language, I tend to be more lenient on ages 13+ (unless they are directing it toward me, a call I made, or another player).


Ejection:  Top 6, VT leads by 8 runs, about 2 mins left on the game clock (game will end at 0:00).  #5 is batting, and nails one to right center, and tries to stretch a double into a triple.  The relay is perfect, and #5 is out by a good 10-15 feet.  After he slides in, and I punch him out, he throws his helmet against the fence (20-25 feet away).  I calmly eject him.

 

Post-Ejection:  The manager (who has been in the league for many years), asked me to briefly stay after the game.  He did this once before 4-5 years ago when I tossed one of his kids, and the kid apologized.  Sure enough, #5 comes up and apologizes.  I explained to him that a lot of umpires would've ejected him after the "M F'r" usage, and that he was fortunate I gave him a warning.  I told him he "wasted a second chance," and I had no option but to toss him when he threw his helmet, even if he was not pissed at me, personally.

 

I only have one question for the U-E world:  how do you handle the use of inappropriate language?  My general philosophy is that 12U and under, any use is an ejection.  For 13U+ (including MS V and HS JV/V), I am willing to give some ground if the language is not directive.  I know that some umpires in my association will auto-eject, no matter the age.

 

The "best" example of this I can think of:  17U game, 2 summers ago, I am BU. Excellent ball; many of the HT players were on the local HS team that went to State that season.  F1-F2 got crossed, and F2 caught an 88-90 mph fastball in a weird manner.  F2 immediately falls to the ground.  Manager comes out to F2, and PU tosses someone.  Then Manager starts arguing with PU about "he wasn't talking to you!  Or to anyone!"  PU eventually tosses Manager.  After the inning, I asked PU what happened.  PU stated that when Manager came out, F2 told the manager that his thumb "Is f*cking killing me."  PU tossed F2 for use of the F-word, and that's what caused Manager to go off.

Posted

15U Babe Ruth (OBR Mod.) game this past Saturday.  I'm BU.

Pre-Ejection:  VT F1 (#5) gave up 6 runs (we have a 6-run/inning limit local rule) in bot 3, and after the inning ended, he spiked the ball into the ground.  His manager called him over over, and scolded him.  I thought that'd be the end of F1's issues:  the kid was pissed at himself, and he let it go.

Bot 4, #5 is now at F6, and after the first batter doubles down the line, F6 angrily mumbles "Mother f...er" for no real reason.  I say to him, "Chill out, #5.  You spiked the ball earlier, now you're cursing for no reason; chill out."  F6 responds, "You're right; I'm sorry.  Sorry."  His apology seemed sincere.  I did not eject because the language was not loud enough for anyone else to hear, and when it comes to language, I tend to be more lenient on ages 13+ (unless they are directing it toward me, a call I made, or another player).

Ejection:  Top 6, VT leads by 8 runs, about 2 mins left on the game clock (game will end at 0:00).  #5 is batting, and nails one to right center, and tries to stretch a double into a triple.  The relay is perfect, and #5 is out by a good 10-15 feet.  After he slides in, and I punch him out, he throws his helmet against the fence (20-25 feet away).  I calmly eject him.

 

Post-Ejection:  The manager (who has been in the league for many years), asked me to briefly stay after the game.  He did this once before 4-5 years ago when I tossed one of his kids, and the kid apologized.  Sure enough, #5 comes up and apologizes.  I explained to him that a lot of umpires would've ejected him after the "M F'r" usage, and that he was fortunate I gave him a warning.  I told him he "wasted a second chance," and I had no option but to toss him when he threw his helmet, even if he was not pissed at me, personally.

 

I only have one question for the U-E world:  how do you handle the use of inappropriate language?  My general philosophy is that 12U and under, any use is an ejection.  For 13U+ (including MS V and HS JV/V), I am willing to give some ground if the language is not directive.  I know that some umpires in my association will auto-eject, no matter the age.

 

The "best" example of this I can think of:  17U game, 2 summers ago, I am BU. Excellent ball; many of the HT players were on the local HS team that went to State that season.  F1-F2 got crossed, and F2 caught an 88-90 mph fastball in a weird manner.  F2 immediately falls to the ground.  Manager comes out to F2, and PU tosses someone.  Then Manager starts arguing with PU about "he wasn't talking to you!  Or to anyone!"  PU eventually tosses Manager.  After the inning, I asked PU what happened.  PU stated that when Manager came out, F2 told the manager that his thumb "Is f*cking killing me."  PU tossed F2 for use of the F-word, and that's what caused Manager to go off.

 

I think you did just fine. I agree on the language, though I may make that 16+ rather than 13+. If it's loud enough for others to hear or directed at an official or another player as you state, then we have a different situation, but otherwise a quick "watch the language, guys" or "knock it off" will suffice the first time.

Posted

After the inning, I asked PU what happened.  PU stated that when Manager came out, F2 told the manager that his thumb "Is f*cking killing me."  PU tossed F2 for use of the F-word, and that's what caused Manager to go off.

Wow.

Posted

Sounds like you handled it fine to me.  Most of us have been involved in the game in other capacities (coach,player etc.) and I think this is one of those times where you can take a split second and see the situation through  the eyes of the players/coach, especially when you're getting into older aged kids.  If a kid takes a pitch off the hand and mumbles a "MotherF'er" under his breath, I'm not ejecting.  As stated earlier, if it's directed at another player, an umpire etc. that's a different story. 

  • Like 1
Posted

This is a  passionate game played by passionate people, and sometimes language happens.  If it's not directed specifically at me or another person, and it's not being disruptive, I'm not there to be a moral compass, I'm there to enforce the rules.  If the rules say no swearing, those are the rules, enforce them, if not carry on.  I have no issue acknowledging and shutting down foul language especially if it could be taken as inflammatory to prevent something real from happening but for the most part that's ball in my books.  Tossing the helmet was a no brainer in the EJ department, a fine call IMHO.  Normally I might be a little worried about a coach asking me to stay after the game, but you know your situation and your coach, so kudos to him for having his player apologize.  It's not often we get to see that side of the equation

×
×
  • Create New...