New Ump with EMBUA. Happy to join site.

RobW
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4022 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hi All,

Recently passed the exam & looking forward to umping games!

I was at the Red Sox/Royals game (1st of the double header) yesterday, and noticed the 3rd base

umpire with arms extended, motioning/folding his index and middle fingers (both hands) towards himself. There were 2 outs, runners on 1st & 2nd, and the left handed batter was getting into the box.

I understand that pointing those fingers outward while tilting the wrists signifies a possible timing play

and the plate umpire is staying home. Can someone explain what the 3rd base ump was signaling and why perhaps it was not the plate umpire? Maybe the 3rd base ump was the crew chief? However, I

would like to know the signal.

Many thanks!

Rob

noticed the 3rd base umpire with arms extended, motioning/folding his index and middle fingers (both hands) towards himself. 

Maybe it was to indicate that he was buying the first round.....?

sounds like he was just signaling outs, but I honestly have to idea. When I signal outs to my partner, my arms at extended downward at an angle and signal how many outs I have. Sometimes if I'm not sure and need my partner to let me know what he has, I'll twiddle my fingers around to catch his attention. The signal I use for timing is a tap on the wrist like you're asking what time it is.

and welcome!