Calling a game solo by standing behind the mound

benrosen
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5021 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey Pete, give her a break. We're all different and live in different communities. And we all make personal decisions we feel are best for our families. Your mileage may be different than hers.

Perhaps my post came across harsh which was NOT my intent.

I was simply responding to the part about priortising. She mentioned buying equipment was NOT on top of the priority list BUT in the same breath said she umpires LL games for free and THAT was my point.

From her post I KNOW she enjoys umpiring LL games BUT LL is for free. Depending upon one's situation you now have to PRIORITISE especially in her situation where she stayed at home with her son.

I realize Fees in the states are higher then where she lives but none-the-less these "other" leagues still pay. She mentioned she did 10 or so of these paying games. If she didn't umpire LL for free perhaps whe could do more games for the leagues that do pay no matter how small the Fee is. "something" is better then NOTHING.

I could have umpired like her or others LL games for free OR work in HS and above where I averaged a $50-$60 game Fee. The Choice (priority) was easy - work in leagues that pay especially when you are a single parent trying to make ends meet.

I did not mean to "get on her" or "chastise" her. I was simply referencing the part about prioritising.

Pete Booth

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps my post came across harsh which was NOT my intent.

I HAVE NOT FELT IT THAT WAY EIGHTER SO NO WORRY ABOUT THAT.

I was simply responding to the part about priortising. She mentioned buying equipment was NOT on top of the priority list BUT in the same breath said she umpires LL games for free and THAT was my point.

AS A STARING UMP THAT WAS THE ONLY LEAGUE I COULD HAVE STARTED UMP IN.

From her post I KNOW she enjoys umpiring LL games BUT LL is for free. Depending upon one's situation you now have to PRIORITISE especially in her situation where she stayed at home with her son.

LL HERE IS ONLY PLAYED DURING WEEKENDS. PAYED LEAGUE ARE HELD IN THE EVENING DURING THE WEEK. SO I WOULD HAVE TO PAY A BABYSITTER -$5/HOUR TO BE ABLE TO UMP A OR AA TO RECEIVE $12 OR $15 A GAME OF MIN 2 1/2 OR 3 HOURS.

I realize Fees in the states are higher then where she lives but none-the-less these "other" leagues still pay. She mentioned she did 10 or so of these paying games. If she didn't umpire LL for free perhaps whe could do more games for the leagues that do pay no matter how small the Fee is. "something" is better then NOTHING.

HERE YOU DO NOT PLAY AS MUCH AS YOU WANT TO. THERE ARE X UMP AND THEY ALL GET A GAME EVERY SO MUCH DAY. F.E. AN AA SEASON HAS 3 ROUNDS AND 6 TEAM TO PLAY. THUS WE PLAY 4 GAMES IN A WEEK WITH 3-MAN SYSTEM WHEN POSSIBLE. FROM THE 16 GAMES TO BE PLAYED IN A ROUND I WOULD BE ELIGIBLE TO PLAY APROX 3 GAMES. 3 ROUNDS WOULD BE 3X3=9. THE A LEAGUE PLAYS ONLY ON WEEKEND AS WELL. WHEN I AM NOT WORKING MY REGULAR JOB, I WILL TAKE ONE OF THOSE BUT AGAIN, I CAN'T TAKE WHAT I WANT OR HOW MUCH I WANT AS THERE ARE OTHER UMP IN LINE AS WELL. WHEN I AM ABLE TO BE A REGULAR UMP THAN I MAY HAVE MORE SAYING REGARDING THE AMOUNT/COUNT OF GAMES I WOULD WANT TO PLAY.

I could have umpired like her or others LL games for free OR work in HS and above where I averaged a $50-$60 game Fee. The Choice (priority) was easy - work in leagues that pay especially when you are a single parent trying to make ends meet.

WE DO NOT HAVE HS NOR ANY OTHER TYPE OF LEAGUE ONLY LL, A AND AA. FOR ME (US HERE) THERE WAS NOT AN EASIER CHOICE, SIMPLY THERE WAS NO CHOICE.

I did not mean to "get on her" or "chastise" her. I was simply referencing the part about prioritising.

I DID PRIORITIES UNDER MY CIRCUMSTANCES WELL. 1ST MY CHILDREN AND PAYED BUT ONREGULARY WORK, 2ND MY JOBS AND 3RD ALL EXTRA INCOME I COULD GATHER TOGETHER WHICH DID NOT ASK ME TO PAY A BUNCH TO BABYSITTER OR TRANSPORTATION FEES. MEANWHILE I REFUSE TO SIT ON MY ASS AND NOT TO UMP A NOT PAYED LL GAME AND PREVENT MYSELF OF GETTING THE HANG OF IT AS PRACTISE IS ONE OF THE KEY WORD TO BECOME A GOOD UMPIRE WHICH IS SOMETHING THAT I HAVE PUT ON MY PRIORITY LIST

NOWADAYS I PLAY LL, A, AA AND VETERAN.

BOTTOM LINE IS:

NEVER JUDGE A PERSON WITHOUT FIRST KNOWING ALL WHAT'S INVOLVED. NO 2 HOUSEHOLD NOR 2 PERSON ARE THE SAME. AND EVENTHOUGH YOU THINK YOU HAVE THE PERFECT SOLUTION: MAYBE THAT'S ONLY CRAP IN THAT PERSON'S SITUATION.

Ros, you are what makes this game so great.....

Houd omhoog het goede werk!

Mantenga el trabajo bueno!

(Sorry, my translator won't read Papiamentu)

Are you talking about the BB games or the wordtwisting game here..whahhahah

Papiamentu: Sigui ku e bon trabou.

And you surely don't speek dutch eihter, 'cause that translation was perfect!