I heard it, didn't see it, but I heard it

buddywilshire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5030 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

District play, winners bracket final. Freshman legion. The number 4 seed(who is really good, I was shocked they were the number 4 seed) is just ripping into the number 1 seed. It was 10-0 after three and the the number 4 seed coach is trying to get them to use up as much of the bullpen from the number seed 1 as possible so he is keeping his foot on the gas. The HT coach uses his fourth pitcher of the day and I hear him say to the third pitcher "You are doing fine, I just need you for the weekend". R2 so I'm BU in C. First pitch and the batter hits a screamer that is coming right at me. I', Six four and 290 so I take up some space. I duck and cover my face(I've never done that before) and can hear it scream by my head. I didn't fall so I was proud of that but man that is the first time I have ever felt that I was close to taking one. Still can hear it going passed me.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember my first time umpiring a pitcher who legitimately threw 90+ MPH.....he was playing in the american legion league prior to the draft......(ultimately he was drafted by Cleveland and spent some time in Toronto)...........he was throwing one of those wilson 1075 raised seam balls.........and I could hear it coming at me.......

The sound of those seams just hissed at me............... never forget that sound...