Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5962 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Just looking for clarification on a foul tip. Have never seen this scenario before but it came up in discussion:

Batter swings at pitch which goes sharp and direct to catchers mitt; ball rebounds onto catcher's leg guard and balloons into the air which allows the catcher to eventually catch the ball. Do you have this as a foul tip?

  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Yes.

A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher’s hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catcher’s glove or hand.

And, for Fed, we have the following Situation:

2.16.2A: B2 swings and tips the ball and a) the ball goes directly to the catcher's glove and then rebounds to the catcher's chest protector, the the ball is caught by the catcher... RULING: In a) the pitch is a strike and remains live.

Edited by yawetag
Posted

I had one the other day also. This is in LL Minors softball. Batter is about 40" tall and swings at a pitch. She makes contact and the ball takes an arc back to the catcher. To clarify, I stood up on the contact and the ball never made it above my eyes or head and the catcher never came out of her stance and caught the ball. Everyone thought the girl was out and I called a foul tip.

Posted
I had one the other day also. This is in LL Minors softball. Batter is about 40" tall and swings at a pitch. She makes contact and the ball takes an arc back to the catcher. To clarify, I stood up on the contact and the ball never made it above my eyes or head and the catcher never came out of her stance and caught the ball. Everyone thought the girl was out and I called a foul tip.
Did the ball go above the batter"s head/shoulders? That is the determinant of whether it is a caught strike or an out in this instance.
Posted

Did the ball go above the batter"s head/shoulders? That is the determinant of whether it is a caught strike or an out in this instance.

No, it isn't.

"Sharp and direct" is the determinant.

Posted

I had one the other day also. This is in LL Minors softball. Batter is about 40" tall and swings at a pitch. She makes contact and the ball takes an arc back to the catcher. To clarify, I stood up on the contact and the ball never made it above my eyes or head and the catcher never came out of her stance and caught the ball. Everyone thought the girl was out and I called a foul tip.

Sounds like it did not go sharp and direct to the glove or hands and should have been an out.

Posted (edited)

No, it isn't.

"Sharp and direct" is the determinant.

Fair enough, I don't think I worded my post too well.

My question is - if the ball is fouled and there is question of the "sharpness and directness" of the path from the bat to the catcher's mitt (there is arc on the ball regardles of the height of the arc), isn't this then a caught foul ball for an out, not a strike?

Edit: You posted the answer I was looking for while I was typing, thanks.

Edited by bikerider
I am slow :)
Posted

Did the ball go above the batter"s head/shoulders? That is the determinant of whether it is a caught strike or an out in this instance.

Bikerider,

Can you cite the rule that this interpretation comes from? I've never read this or seen it in print anywhere. The definition of a foul tip clearly says sharp and direct from the bat to the catchers hand or mitt, but it seems that sharp and direct can be a judgement call.

Posted

Bikerider,

Can you cite the rule that this interpretation comes from? I've never read this or seen it in print anywhere. The definition of a foul tip clearly says sharp and direct from the bat to the catchers hand or mitt, but it seems that sharp and direct can be a judgement call.

No, I cannot as I was wrong. Rich corrected what I wrote.
Posted

I had one the other day also. This is in LL Minors softball. Batter is about 40" tall and swings at a pitch. She makes contact and the ball takes an arc back to the catcher. To clarify, I stood up on the contact and the ball never made it above my eyes or head and the catcher never came out of her stance and caught the ball. Everyone thought the girl was out and I called a foul tip.

for me, and this is just me, if the catcher had to react to catch the ball. that is to say move the glove any real amount I probably have an out. no movement I most likely have a foul tip. I wouldn't use an eyes or head guideline. what if the catcher lined up low and inside and then moved the glove up and out to catch a foul ball that was below the batters chin? would you not have an out? 1

Posted

for me, and this is just me, if the catcher had to react to catch the ball. that is to say move the glove any real amount I probably have an out. no movement I most likely have a foul tip. I wouldn't use an eyes or head guideline. what if the catcher lined up low and inside and then moved the glove up and out to catch a foul ball that was below the batters chin? would you not have an out? 1

I think you should base it on whether the ball went in basically a straight line from the bat to the place where it first touched the glove or hand (not to where the glove was to start), or not.

Straight = foul tip.

Posted

for me, and this is just me, if the catcher had to react to catch the ball. that is to say move the glove any real amount I probably have an out. no movement I most likely have a foul tip. I wouldn't use an eyes or head guideline. what if the catcher lined up low and inside and then moved the glove up and out to catch a foul ball that was below the batters chin? would you not have an out? 1

No movement and the ball might have gotten above the batter's eyes, if it did, it didn't clear them. And catcher never left stance whatsoever.

Posted

it seems that sharp and direct can be a judgement call.

Of course. Just like "appreciable height" in IFF.


×
×
  • Create New...