Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6603 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

It depends on the age group. The only fall ball I work is 13/14 Pony and college. The Pony kids get a very different enviroment than regular season. We don't enforce any balks. We call them, explain them and put the runner back if he picks him off. We also allow continuous batting orderand free subs. Everything else is the same, just a lot more relaxed.

Posted

As was said it is instructional. I'll ask at the plate: How do you want to handle balks? How do you want to handle subs and visits? Usually they'll say something like warn once per pitcher on balks and on visits they will ask for no limit. I'll then reply thats fine but keep them quick. I haven't had a coach take advantage of this yet.

Fall ball is a good way to build goodwill with some coaches. Be flexible as much as you can, be stern when you need to and give them the best game you can. The coaches will notice.

Posted

Since the fall ball around my area is high school (small school), it is just like a regular season. However, if I were able to call younger, more relaxed ball, this would be a good chance for me to experiment with different mechanics, like trying a different plate stance.

Posted

this would be a good chance for me to experiment with different mechanics, like trying a different plate stance.

Definately, fall ball is a good time for umpires to try new things work on their mechanics, and improve their skills.

Posted

Fall ball in my area is far more relaxed for everyone involved.

We are still there to enforce the rules, but it's also understood that some areas may get a bit more leeway than during spring school games.

For instance, we had two instances (one on each team) of pitchers going to their mouth. On both occassions, we explained to the coaches that it shouldn't be done without the "distinct wipe-off", and certainly should never be done while the pitcher has toed his plate! Both coaches explained that these guys had never pitched before, they were both a work in progress, and that was fine with myself and my partner - we weren't about to go picking boogers on something like that in fall ball.

Posted

Definately, fall ball is a good time for umpires to try new things work on their mechanics, and improve their skills.

Tell me about it! :o

I kicked a call at 2B on Sunday - where a steal was being made... R1 slides in "safely", but my call was so quick (SAFE!) and then R1 pulls his foot up off the bag, and F6 lays the tag on him. :mad: OUT!

Two calls on one play.... bad umpire! Bad! I never heard a peep from the coach about it, though if it had been spring (or summer) ball, I've no doubt that I'd have been hearing about it. R1 did question me as he was jogging off, and I explained the 'why he's out' to him, and included the fact that I honked up the timing of the 'safe' call. My partner and I discussed it an inning later, and I readily admitted that I kicked it big-time.

Posted

I worked opening day for our fall ball two Saturdays ago. Everything was fine until they put in a pitcher that could smoke the ball. Manager came up to me and said the kid could bring it. I replied that's fine but can the catcher catch him. He said we would find out. Well, he couldn't. I had a 80mph pitcher and a 70mph catcher. Everything high, I stopped for him. My arms, chest protector and mask took a beating. The next inning he changed catchers.

Posted

Our LL has a fall ball, I'll probably call a couple games. It's completely instructional, they take the kids who show up and split them into teams and play a game. Great time for a guy like me to work on mechanics.


×
×
  • Create New...