Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5984 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Had an interesting situation last night in a 13-15 game (OBR). I was working solo. Bases loaded, 2 out, batter rips a line drive to left field. F7 makes a diving attempt to catch the ball and it looks like he has it but as he rolls and comes up I see his glove open and empty. I immediately make the safe signal and point at the ground. R3 has crossed the plate and then runs all the way back to 3B thinking the ball was caught :wow: dude There were 2 out!! meanwhile R2 had returned to 2B and is now on his way to 3B. F7 gets up, grabs the ball and throws to F5 who eventually, after much screaming from coaches and fellow players, touches 3B for the force out. Now, the question I have here is: If F7 had thrown the ball to F2 and he had stepped on home plate, would R3 have been out on a force out? And would it make any difference if R3 touched home plate or not on his way back to 3B? :eek:

Edited by calablue
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Had an interesting situation last night in a 13-15 game (OBR). I was working solo. Bases loaded, 2 out, batter rips a line drive to left field. F7 makes a diving attempt to catch the ball and it looks like he has it but as he rolls and comes up I see his glove open and empty. I immediately make the safe signal and point at the ground. R3 has crossed the plate and then runs all the way back to 3B thinking the ball was caught :wow: dude There were 2 out!! meanwhile R2 had returned to 2B and is now on his way to 3B. F7 gets up, grabs the ball and throws to F5 who eventually, after much screaming from coaches and fellow players, touches 3B for the force out. Now, the question I have here is: If F7 had thrown the ball to F2 and he had stepped on home plate, would R3 have been out on a force out? And would it make any difference if R3 touched home plate or not on his way back to 3B? :eek:

Once R3 touched home plate, he has legally scored and cannot put himself in jeopardy of being put out if he returns to 3rd base for any reason. In your sitch, since the play at 3rd was a force out, R3's run does not count.

Posted

The R3 can't unscore himself once legally scoring even if he thinks he has to return. You can reinstate the force at other bases but not at the plate.

Posted

Once R3 touched home plate, he has legally scored and cannot put himself in jeopardy of being put out if he returns to 3rd base for any reason. In your sitch, since the play at 3rd was a force out, R3's run does not count.

That answers my question. Thanks. Can you tell me where I can find that in OBR?

Posted

The R3 can't unscore himself once legally scoring even if he thinks he has to return. You can reinstate the force at other bases but not at the plate.

Thanks ms, reinstating the force at the plate was what was really troubling me the most.

Posted (edited)

That answers my question. Thanks. Can you tell me where I can find that in OBR?

If you're asking about "unscoring" it's in 5.06 Comment.

The third out via force is in 4.09(a) Exceptions.

Edited by Rich Ives
Posted

If you're asking about "unscoring" it's in 5.06 Comment.

The third out via force is in 4.09(a) Exceptions.

Thanks, 5.06 comment is what I was looking for.:wave: I knew I had read that before but was unable to locate it when looking for it, as is usually the case.


×
×
  • Create New...