Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5992 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Okay I've been noticing more and more the BR holding his bat a step or two then chucking it off to his right as he heads to first.

The potential problem is I'm left wondering sometimes if this isn't a deliberate act to hinder the catcher from trailing the runner to first. I've actually had a few situations which have left me thinking. So far I've had no contact and no complaints, but it makes me wonder. :wave:

  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Even if it is I would leave it alone. I'd much prefer having a catcher worry about stepping over a bat than have it rattle off his shin guards or worse, off mine.

Posted

Warren, I've thought this exact same thing. But even worse is some of the guys that do it in my league, throw it into fair territory, about half way between home plate and the mound. Problem with that is this...we work 1 man b/c the league is too worried about $$$ :wave: and that's right where I run to for the call at 1b. I've taken a few rattlers off my shin guards, but haven't said anything, thinking that the BR has the best intentions, trying to keep it out of the way of everyone. I've been thinking about it more and more, how hard is it for them to swing, hit the ball, take a step or 2 towards first and just drop it rather than wing it 15 feet away. I played for 14 years, and we never had this happen when we played, we were all taught to drop the bat, not wing it across the diamond. I know I didn't really give an opinion as to what to do, but I also don't know how/if to call this.

DL

Posted

Warren, sorry! I typically carry the bat up with me when I hit in slow pitch. I typically try to toss it over to my dugout, well out of the way of the catcher. (I'm not a fast runner)

Posted

Around here that is thanks to rec leagues, and lack of decent coaching, that want to EJ/restrict to bench kids for "throwing the bat" after a warning or two.

First time it happens, you might want to remind the batter that they could be called for interference if the bat hits the catcher.

Had a girl in HS this year carry the bat all the way to first. I believe she was on the team that had a kid tossed for standing in the baseline in summerball:banghead:

Posted

Please explain....:HS

Second baseman straddling 2B waiting on a throw with a runner on 1B. BU thinks its illegal and tells her not to do that. Same player straddling the bag an inning or so later, BU tosses. That is still a standing headache in our rec league.

Its a rather dysfunctional league. I still cant get over them allowing 2 5/8 bats for LL. That and they like rules for which there are no penalties.

Posted

Second baseman straddling 2B waiting on a throw with a runner on 1B. BU thinks its illegal and tells her not to do that. Same player straddling the bag an inning or so later, BU tosses. That is still a standing headache in our rec league.

Its a rather dysfunctional league. I still cant get over them allowing 2 5/8 bats for LL. That and they like rules for which there are no penalties.

Gotcha. I thought you were beating your head against the wall that a girl would stand in the base line. I was wondering when that became a tossable offense...


×
×
  • Create New...