Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5476 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

OK ....

no one on, ...zero out....

short hopped , botched swing and a miss ....coaches yell 'run'! F2 reaches out with the ball once he grabs it and reaches to the batter who turned to see where the ball was.....he avoids the tag by twisting his body and moving slightly towards 3rd (he was still sort of in the box) ....F2 misses the tag ......BR starts running towards first .....F2 mails one into right field.

Coach comes to me ...(this is a calm conversation) ......."blue, ...wasn't he out of the baseline?" I say,.... where? He says...."the batter, when my catcher went to tag him he moved towards 3rd, he's out of the baseline, right?" I say , ...well, no, what would you want him to do? he just avoided the tag then took off to first. He says," but he moved toward 3rd..he's out of the baseline". I say, coach, ...the baseline isn't the line on the field, it's the path the batter/runner creates .... he looked confused but dropped it and said thanks .....

I was correct here, yes? I mean, the BR has the right to 'avoid the tag', yes?

  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Coach,

He never violated the three foot limit.

I've got him safe.

JM

Thanks ...

May I be so bold (stupid) as to ask .... three foot limit from what?

Posted

Jeff,

7.08 Any runner is out when—

(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from his baseline to avoid being tagged...

JM

I understand the text of 7.08, but I was referencing his 'starting' position....still in the box (rh batter) he initially twists out of the way toward 3rd base, about a step out, then b-lines for first .......same thing then, ...right?

Posted

The 3 feet are from his position the moment a tag attempt is made. That is where the baseline is established for the purpose of this rule. So, his baseline was established as soon as F2 made a legit tag attempt. The 3 feet part is now your judgment.

Posted

I understand the text of 7.08, but I was referencing his 'starting' position....still in the box (rh batter) he initially twists out of the way toward 3rd base, about a step out, then b-lines for first .......same thing then, ...right?

Its not that hard. Its the same rule and the same judgement used. Did he go more than three feet out of a straight line frome where he was to to the next base to avoid the tag.

Of more interest would be what is the limit if he went back first base line extended? If he was between home and first he gets to go back to the plate before hes out, but since he wasn't between home and first? I guess I'd give him the same three feet, but I dont really know.

Posted

I understand the text of 7.08, but I was referencing his 'starting' position....still in the box (rh batter) he initially twists out of the way toward 3rd base, about a step out, then b-lines for first .......same thing then, ...right?

Its not that hard. Its the same rule and the same judgement used. Did he go more than three feet out of a straight line frome where he was to to the next base to avoid the tag.

Of more interest would be what is the limit if he went back first base line extended? If he was between home and first he gets to go back to the plate before hes out, but since he wasn't between home and first? I guess I'd give him the same three feet, but I dont really know.

I'm not saying it's hard...I"m simply trying to re-confirm my ruling, I had him safe for the reasons discussed, but everytime I get questioned....I tend to re-think/overthink, and come here to ask you guys! :)

Posted

Yes, it is one of those wierd things you rarely see and makes you doubt yourself. From where he started he gets three feet to avoid a tag. The strange thing at the plate is he is the box so it looks odd. The coach was just reaching for staws when his catcher airmailed the throw.

Posted

Yes, it is one of those wierd things you rarely see and makes you doubt yourself. From where he started he gets three feet to avoid a tag. The strange thing at the plate is he is the box so it looks odd. The coach was just reaching for staws when his catcher airmailed the throw.

That's basically it, right there!! Thank you sir! :notworthy:


×
×
  • Create New...